REFLECTOR:Engines - TSIO520
Brian Michalk
reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 17 May 2004 16:16:05 -0500
Rotate the turbo?
I assume the shaft will stay horizontal. I'm sure it's been done, but
turbos don't like having the CHRA at an angle relative to gravity.
I purchased two motorcycle intercoolers from somewhere I can't remember
right now. The flow numbers are right, and with two of them, it's a natural
to blow in the center, and from there route up to the intake manifolds.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 3:57 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Engines - TSIO520
>
>
> Rob,
>
> The engine is a TSIO520-CE, 1986 900hrs since new, 40 since TOH
>
> Oil cooler is remotely mounted so no problem there. big long hoses and a
> crushed cooler came with the engine.
>
> I want to :
>
> 1.) rotate the turbo inboard about 30 degrees, this would make
> the cowling
> al lot easier and require the minumum change.
> 2.) mount the injector controllor/servo down below the engine
> 3.) use an automotive racing intercooler that can be mounted
> below or above
> the engine.
> 4.) use a modified older T210 engine mount, like a 67 model, when the
> engine as on a mount and not mounted to the the nose gear well.
>
> I'm sure there will be lots more...
>
> Scott
>
> At 01:33 PM 5/17/2004, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 4/26/2004 10:41:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> >scott@tnstaafl.net writes:
> >
> > > Many thanks for the pictures and description of the 520's.
> > >
> >
> >Hey no problem! I am now officially living vicariously through you! :) I
> >had every intention of turbo'ing my Velo before I broke it and had put a
> >lot of thought into how to do it that was going to go to waste.
> Now I can
> >core dump it all on you! :)
> >
> > > The engine I am considering is from a T210, prop strike from > a gear
> > up landing.
> >
> >A T210<what?> E.g. mine is a T210 L model or year model would be
> fine too.
> >I can do a lot of research depending on the year/model
> >
> > > It sounds like the sandcast engine though it has two
> > > alternators, one in front and one in back. I had not
> > > thought about all
> >
> >Depends on the year model. Very late models (80's) had the dual
> alternator
> >option available from the factory but the earlier models had
> several STC's
> >available to convert to dual AC or Dual Vacuum or both. The oil
> cooler is
> >on the prop end of the engine though? Right? To me that is the big
> >stumbler. I can think of a couple ways to feed that guy air but none of
> >them are simple. Makes me wonder if it can just be blocked off
> and remote
> >mounted??
> >
> >Living vicariously...
> >
> >DM Rob
> >_______________________________________________
> >To change your email address, visit
> >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> >Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> - Benjamin Franklin
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html