REFLECTOR:IO-540
Dennis Huntington
reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 14 May 2004 00:08:32 +0000
<html><div style='background-color:'><P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV class=RTE>
<P>Joe</P>
<P>I dont want to insult anyone, but the compressions in the mid to hig 70's are good. In all my years of working planes, I have never seen the compression in the 80's. They may be using a different compression gauges. </P>
<P>However...the 300 HP engine may be too heavy for the 173. I would check with Velocity. I picked the 260 for my xlrg because they told me at the time that the weight of the 300 HP would make it hard to keep it in the CG</P>
<P>I have thought of removing my 260 HP and converting it to a Cont 550 with turbos. I Might be persuaded to sell my engine. It is a Don George rebuilt and running great.</P>
<P>Dennis</P>
<P><BR><BR> </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: Joe <jewen@comporium.net>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: reflector@tvbf.org
<DIV></DIV>>To: reflector@tvbf.org
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: REFLECTOR:IO-540
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:00:31 -0400
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>I am looking for a used IO-540 for my 173 RG. I have found one for sale by Wentworth Aircraft Salvage. It is a used IO-540 K1E5 (300HP). The specifics on the engine are - it came out of a Bellanca, it has not been in service since 1995 or 1996, it has been stored inside, it has 1200 hours since new, nitrited cylinders, compressions are 76, 78, 74, 73, 78, 76, for a cost of about 12K. My greatest concern lies in the length of time this has been in storage.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>I appreciate anyone's opinion and / or sources for a used IO-540.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Thanks,
<DIV></DIV>>Joe
<DIV></DIV></div><br clear=all><hr> <a href="http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2737??PS=47575">Stop worrying about overloading your inbox - get MSN Hotmail Extra Storage!</a> </html>