REFLECTOR:IO-540

Jim Agnew reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 13 May 2004 07:18:54 -0700 (PDT)


The number one thing you need to know are the outstanding
mandatory ADs on this engine to see if it might require
tear down for some serious defects.  The second thing you
want to see is the engine log book. Take the log book to an
A&P or IA and see if there is a bad history  (like a prop
strike).  Third, no log book run, you have no idea what has
happened to the engine. I think that 12K sounds cheep.  

Jim
--- Joe <jewen@comporium.net> wrote:
> I am looking for a used IO-540 for my 173 RG.  I have
> found one for sale by Wentworth Aircraft Salvage. It is a
> used IO-540 K1E5 (300HP).  The specifics on the engine
> are - it came out of a Bellanca, it has not been in
> service since 1995 or 1996, it has been stored inside, it
> has 1200 hours since new, nitrited cylinders,
> compressions are 76, 78, 74, 73, 78, 76, for a cost of
> about 12K.  My greatest concern lies in the length of
> time this has been in storage.
> 
> I appreciate anyone's opinion and / or sources for a used
> IO-540.
> 
> Thanks,
> Joe


=====
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying