REFLECTOR:I'm Flying Take a look
reflector@tvbf.org
reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 23:03:11 EDT
-------------------------------1084417391
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Are these things ever done?
I picked this project up started about two + years ago. Like all of you I
have spent countless hours working reworking and when you think you ready more
things pop up. But at least I was flying. We flew the 40 hours off last
August and September 2003. Then I flew back home to PA where I could complete the
Avionics and the exterior. I thought this would take about 8- 10 weeks. This
was until the painter said I needed to sand until my arm falls off then use
the other one. The ten weeks turned into 4 1/2 months only an extra 2 months.
I flew the plane back to my home base in February where I was ready to start
the flying again.
After 3 hours and a hard crosswind we landed with a pretty strong side load
that ripped out the old pivot bushing in the Nose gear. Luckily the gear did
not collapse. But when Scott says once you experience a nose shimmy you will
know. HE IS NOT JOKING.
So while the plane was down and I replaced the bushings with the new flanged
type I made a few upgrades. I upgraded few things like Toe Breaks, Garmin
330, and WSI weather system. To top it all off I had to replace the carpet on
the copilot side due to a hole made by a drop light a friend was using to help
me. I also had to work on the oil cooling since the temps were a little high.
Make sure you use the thin spacer on the Vernatherm valve and use the Stewart
Warner cooler.
After I beat my head against the wall where there is now a big dent N787SB is
up and flying. Three hours so far since the changes and upgrades.
Please take a look at the finished product let me know what you think.
http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/index.php?dir=completed_airplanes%2FXL-RG
Thanks for all the advise.
Steve
N787SB
XL-RG
-------------------------------1084417391
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUS-ASCII http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; cha=
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffff=
f">
<DIV>Are these things ever done?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I picked this project up started about two + years ago. Like =
;all of you I have spent countless hours working reworking and when you=
think you ready more things pop up. But at least I was flying. =20=
We flew the 40 hours off last August and September 2003. Then I flew b=
ack home to PA where I could complete the Avionics and the exterior. I=
thought this would take about 8- 10 weeks. This was until the painter=
said I needed to sand until my arm falls off then use the other one. =20=
The ten weeks turned into 4 1/2 months only an extra 2 months. I flew=20=
the plane back to my home base in February where I was ready to start&n=
bsp;the flying again. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>After 3 hours and a hard crosswind we landed with a pretty strong side=20=
load that ripped out the old pivot bushing in the Nose gear. Luckily the gea=
r did not collapse. But when Scott says once you experience a nose shi=
mmy you will know. HE IS NOT JOKING.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>So while the plane was down and I replaced the bushings with the n=
ew flanged type I made a few upgrades. I upgraded few things like=
Toe Breaks, Garmin 330, and WSI weather system. To top it all off I h=
ad to replace the carpet on the copilot side due to a hole made by a drop li=
ght a friend was using to help me. I also had to work on the oil cooli=
ng since the temps were a little high. Make sure you use the thin spac=
er on the Vernatherm valve and use the Stewart Warner cooler.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>After I beat my head against the wall where there is now a big dent N78=
7SB is up and flying. Three hours so far since the changes and upgrade=
s.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Please take a look at the finished product let me know what you think.&=
nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><A href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/index.php?dir=3Dcompleted_airpla=
nes%2FXL-RG">http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/index.php?dir=3Dcompleted_airplanes=
%2FXL-RG</A></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for all the advise.</DIV>
<DIV>Steve </DIV>
<DIV>N787SB</DIV>
<DIV>XL-RG</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></BODY></HTML>
-------------------------------1084417391--