REFLECTOR:Tow Bar

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 10 May 2004 13:34:05 -0400


Gilles,

> Yes, that's the one that will break.  Check that fork at the shoulders, it
> already has a flaw in the original casting, a dent in the front on the right
> hand side, plus now it has been further weakened by drilling it to accept
> the tow bar. That is the area where mine broke. Join the club.

I'm glad to have found this out before flying. When I was considering drilling
the nose fork to accept the tow bar, I talked to Duane about my plan. He
advised that a hole in that particular spot would not weaken the fork. Guess I
can add this to several dozen bits of advice which -- with benefit of
hindsight -- have turned out to be incorrect. Aircraft building is a learning
experience. 

Dave Black
Shortwing RG