REFLECTOR:IO360 to TSIO520

Greg Poole reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 3 May 2004 14:24:34 +1000


Hmmnnn...what does the factory say Scott?  Suggest their
advice/recommendations might be worthwhile before you start investing the
$$'s.

Regards,

Greg in Sydney.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>; <Canards@tnstaafl.net>
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 12:15 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR:IO360 to TSIO520


> I'm approaching the decision point on wether to buy a TSIO 520 to replace
> the IO360 in my Velocity.
>
> I measured one and it will fit with a highly modified upper and lower
> cowl.   I was actually amazed to see that they are the same width.
>
> I'm convinced I will need to convert to downdraft  cooling.  Has anybody
> retro-fitted the NACA scoops and ducting to a finished updraft V before.
>
> The engine plus the weight I will have to add to the nose will be
> considerable.  In certificated airplanes, installing a larger engine
> usually changes the airplane's GW to a higher gross weight.  I know
> of  some odd modifications like tip tanks for Bo's that add a considerable
> amount to the airplanes legal gross weight .
>
> Being I would have plenty of power for takeoffs, what is the limiting
> factor of a Std RG's gross weight?  Gear legs?  I have heard of people
> doing a carbon fiber wrap on the main legs to beef them up..
>
> Would I need to beef up the firewall in any way to handle the larger
engine?
>
> I was thinking about using a older model  C210 engine mount.  This was
made
> for a tractor configuration,  would that be ok?
>
> Scott
>
> "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> - Benjamin Franklin
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>