REFLECTOR:Grand Rapids Technologies-EFIS

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:08:18 -0800


Rob,

If the Russian pitots are a reasonably sound, functional product and you
could bring them in to sell for even $100 each, I think you would sell a TON
of them.  I would be the first in line!  Do you have any photos or drawings?

The US manufacturers seem to think they have a corner on the market and can
milk it for all it's worth.  It's interesting that you can buy a TSO'ed true
airspeed indicator for FAR less than a simple heated pitot tube, and the
difference in manufacturing capability isn't even in the same ballpark.
Something smells rotten here, and I'm not in much of a mood to get reamed on
the purchase of a pitot.

It's either that or go back to the "make your own pitot tube from a piece of
steel brake line" as shown in the old Velocity manual!

Keith Hallsten


----- Original Message ----- 
From: <RJohn15183@aol.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Grand Rapids Technologies-EFIS


> In a message dated 3/29/2004 10:53:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
KeithHallsten@quiknet.com writes:
>
> >  Anyone else have a pitot tube for less than $350?
>
> IF anyone is interested....
>
> I used a Russian heated pitot on 115XL. It is different but *very*
reasonably priced. At one point I was thinking about importing them but our
own Don Hammond was working on building his own heated pitot for sale to
homebuilders so I dropped the idea.
>
> I have not heard from Don in a long time and don't know where his pitot
project went. I e-mailed his old hot mail account last week just to see how
things were, not related to pitot tubes, just a general catch up note since
we are in the same area and the same career field but his hot mail account
bounced back as no good anymore.
>
> Don? You out there? If not and if enough people are interested in a cheap
yet effective Russian heated pitot tubes let me know and I will will follow
up on getting some shipped. I am thinking they will be right around $50
after shipping-customs etc.
>
> Rob Johnson
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>