REFLECTOR:Grand Rapids Technologies-EFIS

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 07:53:48 -0800


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C41562.F7C556E0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Chuck,

Yes, I've been looking at that one.  It's not clear if they have any =
brackets to mount it under a wing or on the canard.  I may have to call =
them.  Anyone else have a pitot tube for less than $350?

Keith=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Chuck Jensen=20
  To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 7:36 PM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Grand Rapids Technologies-EFIS


  Keith,

  I don't know if its a good price but Dynon =
(http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/pitotfeatures.html) has a $199 unit =
on their site that also does angle of attach (apparently by measuring =
the pressure differential between an angled opening and the pressure in =
the main pitot) but that's only with their EFIS.  I didn't figure out if =
the pitot works without their EFIS.  If it does, is $199 half way =
reasonable for a heated pitot?

  If I get any other feedback on the GRT unit from other than the =
Reflector, I'll pass it along.

  Chuck
    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On =
Behalf Of KeithHallsten
    Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 5:16 PM
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Grand Rapids Technologies-EFIS


    Chuck,

    I'm also looking for some "reports from the field" on the GRT EFIS.  =
I have been checking their website pretty regularly the last few months, =
and they note that 5 of their systems are now flying, so it's still =
pretty early.  They are shipping them as fast as they come off the line, =
so a lot more will be flying by Oshkosh time.

    Unless I hear some horror stories in the next few months, I'll =
probably be putting a two-display GRT system in my panel along with =
their EIS 6000 engine monitor.  I'm thinking of a dedicated primary =
flight display for the upper, and a multiple-mode display for the lower. =
 That would provide moving map and graphical engine parameters on the =
lower display under normal conditions, and a backup for the primary =
flight display if the upper one ever goes belly-up.  The handheld and =
panel-mount GPSs would provide backup moving map, and the EIS would =
provide digital engine parameters.  The other backups would be a =
mechanical airspeed and altimeter, and the new turn coordinator from =
TruTrak.  This looks to be a pretty fault-tolerant no-gyro system at a =
very reasonable cost.  Any critics?

    The only real shock lately has been the enormous recent price spike =
in pitot tubes.  Anyone got a line on a reasonable-priced heated pitot?

    Keith Hallsten, XLFG

      ----- Original Message -----=20
      From: Chuck Jensen=20
      To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'=20
      Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 11:48 AM
      Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Grand Rapids Technologies-EFIS


      With correct web-link and in non-annoying smaller print.=20

      Has anyone had some experience with Grand Rapids =
(http://www.grtavionics.com) new EFIS unit.  I understand several have =
flow the GRT EIS system and think well of it and the company, but of =
course, the jump to a full blow EFIS is a quantum leap.  On GRT's web =
site, under installation, there was a photo of an installation in =
Velocity N31VC, which, with Ronnie Brown's detective work, I understand =
belonged to Rob at RJohn15183@aol.com, but I haven't been able to =
contact him by email to see if the unit was installed before he sold the =
plane or who's currently flying it....and what their impressions were.

        In short, anyone have any feedback about GRT's EFIS or know =
anyone I could contact to discuss the same.

        Chuck
        27GV, Panel under (re)construction
------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C41562.F7C556E0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chuck,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yes, I've been looking at that =
one.&nbsp; It's not=20
clear if they have any brackets to mount it under a wing or on the =
canard.&nbsp;=20
I may have to call them.&nbsp; Anyone else have a pitot tube for less =
than=20
$350?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcjensen@dts9000.com =
href=3D"mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck=20
  Jensen</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, March 28, 2004 =
7:36=20
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:Grand =
Rapids=20
  Technologies-EFIS</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D984462003-29032004><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2>Keith,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D984462003-29032004><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D984462003-29032004><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>I=20
  don't know if its a good price but Dynon (<A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/pitotfeatures.html">http://www.=
dynonavionics.com/docs/pitotfeatures.html</A>)&nbsp;has=20
  a $199 unit on their site that also does angle of attach (apparently =
by=20
  measuring the pressure differential between&nbsp;an angled opening and =
the=20
  pressure in the main pitot) but that's only with their EFIS.&nbsp; I =
didn't=20
  figure out if the pitot works without their EFIS.&nbsp; If it does, is =
$199=20
  half way reasonable for a heated pitot?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D984462003-29032004><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D984462003-29032004><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>If I=20
  get any other feedback on the GRT unit from other than the Reflector, =
I'll=20
  pass it along.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D984462003-29032004><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D984462003-29032004><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
    size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
    [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of=20
    </B>KeithHallsten<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, March 28, 2004 5:16=20
    PM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: =
REFLECTOR:Grand=20
    Rapids Technologies-EFIS<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chuck,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm also looking for some "reports =
from the=20
    field" on the GRT EFIS.&nbsp; I have been checking their website =
pretty=20
    regularly the last few months, and they note that 5 of their systems =
are now=20
    flying, so it's still pretty early.&nbsp; They are shipping them as =
fast as=20
    they come off the line, so&nbsp;a lot more will be flying by Oshkosh =

    time.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Unless I hear some horror stories =
in the next=20
    few months, I'll probably be putting a two-display GRT system in my =
panel=20
    along with their EIS 6000 engine monitor.&nbsp; I'm thinking of a =
dedicated=20
    primary flight display for the upper, and a multiple-mode display =
for the=20
    lower.&nbsp; That would provide moving map and graphical engine =
parameters=20
    on the lower display under normal conditions, and a backup for the =
primary=20
    flight display if the upper one ever goes belly-up.&nbsp; The =
handheld and=20
    panel-mount GPSs would provide backup moving map, and the EIS would =
provide=20
    digital engine parameters.&nbsp; The other backups would be a =
mechanical=20
    airspeed and altimeter, and the new turn coordinator from =
TruTrak.&nbsp;=20
    This looks to be a pretty fault-tolerant no-gyro system at a very =
reasonable=20
    cost.&nbsp; Any critics?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The only real shock lately has been =
the=20
    enormous recent price spike in pitot tubes.&nbsp; Anyone got a line =
on a=20
    reasonable-priced heated pitot?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith Hallsten, XLFG</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- =
</DIV>
      <DIV=20
      style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
      <A title=3Dcjensen@dts9000.com =
href=3D"mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck=20
      Jensen</A> </DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
      href=3D"mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> =
</DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, March 28, =
2004 11:48=20
      AM</DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: =
REFLECTOR:Grand Rapids=20
      Technologies-EFIS</DIV>
      <DIV><BR></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DTahoma><FONT size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D093403519-28032004><FONT=20
      face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff>With correct web-link and in =
non-annoying smaller=20
      print.&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN><BR></FONT></FONT><SPAN=20
      class=3D703010119-28032004><BR><FONT face=3DArial><FONT =
size=3D2>Has anyone had=20
      some experience with Grand Rapids (</FONT></FONT><A=20
      href=3D"http://www.grtavionics.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
      size=3D2>http://www.grtavionics.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>) new=20
      EFIS unit.&nbsp; I understand several have flow the GRT EIS system =
and=20
      think well of it and the company, but of course, the jump to a =
full blow=20
      EFIS is a quantum leap.&nbsp; On GRT's web site, under=20
      <U>installation</U>, there was a photo of an installation in =
Velocity=20
      N31VC, which, with Ronnie Brown's detective work, I understand =
belonged to=20
      Rob at </FONT><A href=3D"mailto:RJohn15183@aol.com"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
      size=3D2>RJohn15183@aol.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>, but I=20
      haven't been able to contact him by email to see if the unit was =
installed=20
      before he sold the plane or who's currently&nbsp;flying it....and =
what=20
      their impressions were.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
      <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
        <DIV><SPAN class=3D703010119-28032004><FONT face=3DArial=20
        size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><SPAN class=3D703010119-28032004><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>In short,=20
        anyone have any feedback about GRT's EFIS or know anyone I could =
contact=20
        to discuss the same.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
        <DIV><SPAN class=3D703010119-28032004><FONT face=3DArial=20
        size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><SPAN class=3D703010119-28032004><FONT face=3DArial=20
        size=3D2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
        <DIV><SPAN class=3D703010119-28032004><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>27GV, Panel=20
        under=20
  =
(re)construction</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOT=
E></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C41562.F7C556E0--