REFLECTOR:Ailerons
Donald Royer
reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:26:20 -0700
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
I was the one that said that I needed 4'9" cables for my 173 Elite. A first glance, the longer cables looked as thought they were too long, but after I re drilled the holes in the fire wall and got them in, they worked much better than the shorter ones. However, these birds are all different and so go with whatever works.
I did a lot of fiddling with rigging the ailerons. My first suggestion would be to be sure you are getting full travel at the front bell crank and that the cables are properly centered on the bell crank. Then at the aft end of the cables, be sure that the angle between the cable end and the bell crank is the same on both sides, and that the cable ends are screwed on to the cables the same distance on both sides. I know that these things seem that they wouldn't make much difference, but both of them can make a surprising difference in the aileron travel. I found that for me an angle about 110 degrees between the cable ends and the bell crank with the ailerons centered, and the cable ends screwed almost as far out as they could safely go worked best. The position of the cable ends matters because it changes the distance between the point when the cable end pivots and the bell crank.
Don
----- Original Message -----
From:
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Sent: 3/19/04 11:24:05 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR:Ailerons
Well this is interesting. Just a few days ago, someone was mentioning that the aileron cables for the long wing were supposed to be 4' 9"... and 4' 6" for the short wing.
I have the 173 Elite (long wing.. little fuselage) and the cables I have are 4' 6" long. Since I am in the process of rigging my ailerons, I measured them and checked the curvature. I don't have room for 3 more inches of control cable in my bird. The cables run right along the keel fin, make a nice curve to the side of the fuselage, and right to the brackets.
Another interesting note is that my manual says the holes for the aileron cable clamp (in the engine bay) are pre-drilled. I didn't have any holes in my brackets.
Right now, I have 2.7" of left up/right down aileron, but only 1.7" or right up/left down. Hopefully this can be tweaked out by adjustment, but I haven't got there yet. I waded through the archives but didn't see anything regarding aileron travel & rigging.
Any pointers?
Thanks,
Kurt Winker
173 FGE 4.3L alum V-6 Chevy.
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
Content-Type: text/html; charset=US-ASCII
<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type charset=US-ASCII content="text/html; charset=US-ASCII">
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4522.1800" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">I was the one that said that I needed 4'9" cables for my 173 Elite. A first glance, the longer cables looked as thought they were too long, but after I re drilled the holes in the fire wall and got them in, they worked much better than the shorter ones. However, these birds are all different and so go with whatever works.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">I did a lot of fiddling with rigging the ailerons. My first suggestion would be to be sure </FONT>you are getting full travel at the front bell crank and that the cables are properly centered on the bell crank. Then at the aft end of the cables, be sure that the angle between the cable end and the bell crank is the same on both sides, and that the cable ends are screwed on to the cables the same distance on both sides. I know that these things seem that they wouldn't make much difference, but both of them can make a surprising difference in the aileron travel. I found that for me an angle about 110 degrees between the cable ends and the bell crank with the ailerons centered, and the cable ends screwed almost as far out as they could safely go worked best. The position of the cable ends matters because it changes the distance between the point when the cable end pivots and the bell crank.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Don</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid">
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A title=NMFlyer1@aol.com href="mailto:NMFlyer1@aol.com"></A></DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To: </B><A title=reflector@tvbf.org href="mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A></DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> 3/19/04 11:24:05 AM </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Ailerons</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV><FONT size=2>
<DIV>Well this is interesting. Just a few days ago, someone was mentioning that the aileron cables for the long wing were supposed to be 4' 9"... and 4' 6" for the short wing. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I have the 173 Elite (long wing.. little fuselage) and the cables I have are 4' 6" long. Since I am in the process of rigging my ailerons, I measured them and checked the curvature. I don't have room for 3 more inches of control cable in my bird. The cables run right along the keel fin, make a nice curve to the side of the fuselage, and right to the brackets. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Another interesting note is that my manual says the holes for the aileron cable clamp (in the engine bay) are pre-drilled. I didn't have any holes in my brackets. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Right now, I have 2.7" of left up/right down aileron, but only 1.7" or right up/left down. Hopefully this can be tweaked out by adjustment, but I haven't got there yet. I waded through the archives but didn't see anything regarding aileron travel & rigging. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Any pointers? </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Thanks, </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Kurt Winker</DIV>
<DIV>173 FGE 4.3L alum V-6 Chevy. </DIV></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8--