REFLECTOR:Re: Landing Gear adjustment

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:07:43 -0500


--============_-1132564828==_ma============
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed"


Just thought I would relate a problem I was having on my XL-RG. My 
normal decent procedure if the air is relatively smooth is to decent 
at about 200 kts indicated. at 500 fpm.  After about 170 hours of 
flying time on the aircraft I began a routine decent and had a 
strange vibration that would start and stop by lowering the nose or 
pulling up slightly. I was able to determine that the vibration 
seemed to be from the gear doors. After some advice from Scott Swing 
I took a hard look at the gear rigging. Since the stop on the 
actuator controls the up position and the gear position lights 
indicated that the gear was up and the unsafe light out it all looked 
good.
Turns out that in the down position there was just a little slack in 
the cable. They evidently stretch a little. I tightened the cable up 
( only a few turns on the cable turnbuckle and the vibration was 
fixed. The message " Check cable tension every so often " they do 
stretch. Oh yeah In the process I built a pair of airplane jacks out 
of 4x4, some plywood legs and automotive bottle jacks. They work 
great and I spent about $30.

Jack
N55XL
--============_-1132564828==_ma============
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<html><head><style type="text/css"><!--
blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: Landing Gear adjustment</title></head><body>
<div><font size="-1"><br></font></div>
<div>Just thought I would relate a problem I was having on my XL-RG.
My normal decent procedure if the air is relatively smooth is to
decent&nbsp; at about 200 kts indicated. at 500 fpm.&nbsp; After about
170 hours of flying time on the aircraft I began a routine decent and
had a strange vibration that would start and stop by lowering the nose
or pulling up slightly. I was able to determine that the vibration
seemed to be from the gear doors. After some advice from Scott Swing I
took a hard look at the gear rigging. Since the stop on the actuator
controls the up position and the gear position lights indicated that
the gear was up and the unsafe light out it all looked good.</div>
<div>Turns out that in the down position there was just a little slack
in the cable. They evidently stretch a little. I tightened the cable
up ( only a few turns on the cable turnbuckle and the vibration was
fixed. The message &quot; Check cable tension every so often &quot;
they do stretch. Oh yeah In the process I built a pair of airplane
jacks out of 4x4, some plywood legs and automotive bottle jacks. They
work great and I spent about $30.</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>Jack</div>
<div>N55XL</div>
</body>
</html>
--============_-1132564828==_ma============--