REFLECTOR:Checking valve guides ...
Jim Sower
reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:44:25 -0600
I've got a problem for some of you Lyc doctors ....
I've been hearing off and on about checking valve guides on Lycs
for too much or too little clearance - either ready to seize or
burning oil. I'm doing my annual now and thought I'd check the
guides on my angle valve IO-360. Went to the local IA and he
said that if he checks them at all, it's pull the jug, remove
the valve and mic it. Seemed a little much since I thought what
I'd been hearing involved pulling the spring, wiggling the stem
and estimating the severity of the lash problem.
Is the "quick and dirty" check, I've described common practice?
If so, how exactly, does one perform the inspection? If not,
how common is pulling the jugs, field stripping them and mic-ing
the guides? Do I need to bother at all with 500 hrs on the
engine and two jugs with 100 and 200 hrs on them?
Need some straight answers .... Jim S.