REFLECTOR:Re: IVO breaker

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:48:38 -0600


Thanks, Wayne,
 I can't find a breaker anywhere so I guess the poly switch is it.  Deciding
if I am comfortable is difficult.  I don't know anything about the poly
switch.  Does it "trip" and reset itself, or simply limit the amount of
current?  From a non-technical, experience point of view, it has been in
service for 285 hours and trouble-free during my 80 hours experience.  In
comparison, others who have a breaker report the the breaker trips sometimes
and if not watched carefully the pitch may not be where it needs to be for
takeoff.  So from a practical point of view I think the poly switch is
better although there may be some technical reasons why a breaker is better.

One improvement I would like is to have an indicator when the pitch is fully
fine (at at the travel limiter where the motor stalls) so I would not have
to operate the motor in the stalled condition in order to be sure I have the
pitch fully fine.

John

Wayne Lanza wrote:

> HI John,
>   Unless you find an obvious breaker, I would surmise the following from
> the picture:
>  > The red component is more than likely a surge/spike suppresser, If so
> it will be
>      connected between the +12V and Ground terminals on the switch.
>  > The yellow device is probably a "Poly Switch", a type of solid state
> circuit interrupter.
>     If so, one lead goes to the +12V terminal on the switch & the other
> will be connected
>     to the A/C +12 volt bus. This makes the poly switch the only
> protection that you will
>     have on the prop. Not too wise in my book... I don't care for SS
> breakers in an A/C.
>
>   If you are comfortable with this arrangement  - fine. If you decide to
> update your A/C
> with a real circuit breaker, mount a 15A-20A breaker in the instrument
> panel and get
> rid of the poly switch.
>
> Fly Safe,
> Wayne
> __________________________________________________________________