REFLECTOR:Firewall penetrations (was Control Cables)
KeithHallsten
reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:14:05 -0800
Wayne,
Yes, I agree that fuel lines passing through the firewall should make use of
bulkhead fittings. I will also use bulkhead fittings if either of my oil
cooler lines pass directly through the firewall, rather than through the
duct openings. However, we were talking about the oil cooler lines, control
cables, and instrument wires that will come out of the ducts. I don't
really like the concept of the fairly large duct openings into the engine
compartment, so I'm leaning toward minimizing the number of various types of
lines that use that route, then closing the duct openings up as completely
as possible.
Keith
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne" <wowens@darientel.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 4:45 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Firewall penetrations (was Control Cables)
> Several years ago a Velocity went down in a Georgia cornfield when a
fellow
> ran a "braid protected" fuel line through the firewall without benefit of
a
> bulkhead fitting.
> Wayne
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "KeithHallsten" <KeithHallsten@quiknet.com>
> To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 9:36 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Firewall penetrations (was Control Cables)
>
> I'm just starting on running the cables, tubes and hoses, so I'm not yet
> sure how much stuff I will have coming out of the ducts. Since I'm
building
> a fixed-gear XL, I have the option of running quite a bit of stuff down
the
> keel - some of it will then go through the firewall instead of out the
duct
> openings. My vague intent is to wrap the wires and tubes with cut-up
pieces
> of firesleeve at duct openings, then fill the remaining spaces with fire
> putty (or some such material) and cover it with SS sheet. It's also
> possible that I may end up using one of the larger pass-through fittings
> from EPM-AV Corp mounted to the SS sheet covering the duct openings. We
> will see how this works out in practice!
> Keith Hallsten
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Pat Shea" <xl340hp@yahoo.com>
> > To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> > Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 12:25 PM
> > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Firewall penetrations (was Control Cables)
> >
> > > Hi Keith,
> > > In terms of fireproofing, what are you planning on
> > > doing w/ the duct openings on the lower firewall?