REFLECTOR:Wing/Canard/Fuselage Incidence
mike deeter
reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:23:25 -0800 (PST)
Help for advice re: wing incidence
I'm sure a bunch of folks have dealt with this issue.
My Std Elite RG flies fine but it also seems to fly a
bit fuselage-high in cruise. Several people,
including one guy w/ an identical Velocity and
set of wings (Alan Shaw's), have remarked on it. I
think so, too, and since that must be a high-drag
attitude I want to explore what (if anything, since it
flies fine) to do about it.
If it's pertinent, my canard is 1/8" to 1/4" up when
I'm flying in cruise with a midrange CG.
Questions:
1. I measured the main wings versus the canard using
Velocity's incidence jigs and my digital level as a
standard and found my canard to be about 0.5 degrees
leading edge low as compared to the main wing. Would
raising the canard incidence 0.5 degrees have the
effect of lowering the nose in cruise?
2. What about shimming the upper, outboard wing bolt?
That would seem to raise the angle of incidence of
the main wing chord slightly. Would that bring the
nose down in cruise? I did measure my main
wing/fuselage relationship versus my friend's Velocity
and found no appreciable difference. My calculations
using geometric relations show a 0.030" shim changing
the chord about 0.43 degrees. Significant? Can I get
away with just the outboard bolt or must I shim the
inboard wing bolt as well?
3. Any other suggestions?
Of course, both 1. and 2. would have cosmetic
ramifications as well.
I'd like to get in touch with Alan Shaw but emails get
returned from his old address, wingco@iu.net. Can
anyone provide a current email and phone number for
Alan?
Thanks for any advice.
Mike Deeter
Velocity Std Elite w/ Franklin/Ivo
N2011P
=====
*******************************************
Mike Deeter
N2011 Test Pilot
iguanamagic@yahoo.com
http://iguanamagic.siegesmund.org
*******************************************
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for faster
http://search.yahoo.com