REFLECTOR:Navaid Auto Pilot

Nolan Frederick reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:51:17 -0700


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C40297.6766BCC0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dear Reflectorites,
    I still have my unused Navaid AP system for sale (it looks to be the =
same as Ronnie Brown's unit).
nolan frederick

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ronnie Brown=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 7:13 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Navaid Auto Pilot


  For those of you who have the Navaid autopilot, read on.  The rest of =
you can ignore this note.

  After flying my Velocity for a year, I decided to try to improve the =
operation of my Navaid autopilot.

  It has been working great in wing leveler mode - but I haven't been =
real happy with they way it tracked the GPS signals via the Porcine =
coupler.  (I had already had the Porcine chip replaced because they had =
problems with the aviation data stream that comes out of panel mounted =
GPS's)

  I finally figured it out (after reading the manuals again - for the =
10th time!)

  I had "jinked" the servo for the correct trim position. The Navaid's =
left hand knob is used to trim the plane for level flight, the right =
hand knob is used to make turns.

  I repeat "left hand knob is used to trim the plane for level flight, =
the right hand knob is used to make turns."  If you are trying to fly =
straight and level, DO NOT USE the right hand knob - use the trim =
knob!!!=20

  When putting the Navaid in track mode - make sure the right hand knob =
is straight up.  The trim knob is in what ever position is required to =
maintain straight ahead flight.  Then after engaging track mode, use the =
trim knob to put the plane on course if the Navaid is not tracking the =
course as desired.  This last sentence is critically important to =
getting good tracking performance.  I used to cuss the Navaid because it =
didn't seem to be holding the correct track.  If you use the trim knob =
to establish the plane on track, it tracks PERFECTLY!!!!

  A HAPPY NAVAID USER!=20
  Ronnie Brown
------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C40297.6766BCC0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear Reflectorites,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I still have my =
unused Navaid AP=20
system for sale (it looks to be the same as Ronnie Brown's =
unit).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>nolan frederick</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dromott@adelphia.net =
href=3D"mailto:romott@adelphia.net">Ronnie=20
  Brown</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, March 05, 2004 =
7:13=20
AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Navaid Auto=20
Pilot</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>For those of you who have the Navaid autopilot, =
read=20
  on.&nbsp; The rest of you can ignore this note.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>After flying my Velocity for a year, I decided to =
try to=20
  improve the operation of my Navaid autopilot.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>It has been working great in wing leveler mode - =
but I=20
  haven't been real happy with they way it tracked the GPS signals via =
the=20
  Porcine coupler.&nbsp; (I had already had the Porcine chip replaced =
because=20
  they had problems with the aviation data stream that comes out of =
panel=20
  mounted GPS's)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I finally figured it out (after reading the =
manuals again -=20
  for the 10th time!)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I had "jinked" the servo for the correct trim=20
  position.&nbsp;The Navaid's left hand knob is used to trim the plane =
for level=20
  flight, the right hand knob is used to make turns.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I repeat "left hand knob is used to trim the plane =
for level=20
  flight, the right hand knob is used to make turns."&nbsp;&nbsp;If you =
are=20
  trying to fly straight and level, DO NOT USE the right hand knob - use =
the=20
  trim knob!!! </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>When putting the Navaid in track mode&nbsp;- make =
sure the=20
  right hand knob is straight up.&nbsp; The trim knob is in what ever =
position=20
  is required to maintain straight ahead flight.&nbsp; Then after =
engaging track=20
  mode, use the trim knob to put the plane on course if the Navaid is =
not=20
  tracking the course as desired.&nbsp; This last sentence is critically =

  important to getting good tracking performance.&nbsp; I used to cuss =
the=20
  Navaid because it didn't seem to be holding the correct track.&nbsp; =
If you=20
  use the trim knob to&nbsp;establish the plane on track, it tracks=20
  PERFECTLY!!!!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>A HAPPY NAVAID USER! </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie =
Brown</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C40297.6766BCC0--