REFLECTOR:Bad EGT Reading

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:41:57 -0600


If all your temps are that low and that stable (I guess we're assuming they are, absent
evidence  that they aren't) you should be OK with what you've got.  I had a single CHT-EGT
on my Long-EZ and put in a 4-cyl system when a jug went south.  It was very illuminating
watching things vary for reasons that I was not able to pin down.  I have an IO-360 on my
Velocity and I see some "transients" and variations in which cylinder/pipe is hottest under
different circumstances.  I'm real glad I have it.  Feel like I've been able to keep some
unfortunate things from happening.  My V came at me with CHT problems that I'm always
fighting and am finally getting to where I'm staying ahead of them, but I watch close all
the time.  I don't want to ever be without good temp indications.  But, like you say,
they're Lycs and evidently run hotter than your Franklin.  If a periodic look works for
you, great.   If you don't have a problem, you don't need a solution.

If it works, don't *&$#^ with it (Harvey's First Law) .... Jim S.

John Dibble wrote:

> Jim,
> I guess I need some educating/persuading.  The EGT/CHTs on my carbureted Franklin run
> considerably cooler than the temps I see posted for the Lycomings.  Maybe I'm just not
> operating at a high power level.  In any case the only use I can see for monitoring all
> 6 cylinders is to look for one that is way out of line and indicating a serious
> problem.  I believe a check every 10 hours is adequate for this and my current monitor
> is adequate for that.  How do you use yours?
>
> John
>