REFLECTOR: Filler for wingtips

richard at riley.net richard at riley.net
Tue Jun 29 21:38:30 CDT 2004


At 07:21 PM 6/29/04, you wrote:
>What is everyone using to fill canard tips, winglet tips, and lower winglets
>these days?  I went by my local West Marine this morning to pick up a little
>kit of polyurethane pour foam, and the only size they had cost 85 bucks!
>After re-inserting my eyes in their sockets, I noticed that this kit would
>produce 2 cubic feet of foam, which is a lot more than I will need.  At that
>price, I could just whomp up a dry batch of Alphaepoxy/microballoon and use
>that!
>
>How about the pressurized cans of foam sealant at Home Depot?  The resilient
>latex type probably isn't what we're looking for, but they may still have
>the "semi-rigid polyurethane" type.  Any other good ideas?

The one part foam will never completely cure.  If you get a good hot day on 
the ramp, it will swell underneath your expensive paint job and end up 
looking like a goiter.  Some of the 2 part foams will do the same thing.

I always used blue foam, gued to the tip with epoxy/micro slurry.  Rough 
cut on a band saw first, wipe with slurry, put in place, hold it there with 
drywall screws till it cures.  Remove screws, sand to shape, cover with 2 
plies of glass.  Fill with micro, sand, prime, paint. 



More information about the Reflector mailing list