REFLECTOR: Engine Selection
J.P. Brooks
jp211 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 16 17:30:01 CDT 2004
Don, read "To The Man In The Arena" by T. Roosevelt. Even if I (we) fail
we won't be with those cold and timid souls like you who know neither
victory or defeat. Keep your money safe and in CD's and, if I were you, I
would invest heavily in Lycoming stock.... that would be Textron. You got
4 million to throw?.... neither do I,.... anymore.... ;-)..... but
should we succeed....hmmmmm?......
.....still won't be with you Don.
At 02:48 PM 6/16/2004, you wrote:
>We ran the inverted just before OSH last year. Foolish to consider?... or
>foolish to buy when it does fly?... or foolish to buy and install when I
>does fly and make the horsepower?... or, foolish to consider or buy or
>install or believe it may just make the horsepower and have the fuel
>economy?...... A through D we must be foolish just to try to build
>it... right?
>
>JP, chief fool, DeltaHawk, Inc.
>Don, what engine do you use now and how much did it cost you to build?
>
>
>At 02:39 PM 6/16/2004, you wrote:
>>Call me foolish, then, although they have built the inverted version and
>>have begun testing it. That's the one I'm planning to use.
>>
>>Doug
>>----- Original Message -----
>>From: <mailto:djroyer at earthlink.net>Donald Royer
>>To: <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>>Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 3:44 PM
>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine Selection
>>
>>I saw the test plane at Oshkosh last summer. To me the hump in the
>>cowling required for the upright V engine utterly ruins the lines of the
>>plane. I though that it was really ugly. If and when the inverted V is
>>ready and flying, it should be a very attractive option. However,
>>considering the very slow development history of the engine, I feel that
>>anyone would be foolish to consider using the inverted V engine before it
>>is actually built and flying.
>>
>>I had very enthusiastic plans to use the Delthawk eight years ago.
>>
>>Don Royer
>>
>>----- Original Message -----
>>From: <mailto:doug.holub at comcast.net>Douglas Holub
>>To: <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>>Sent: 6/16/2004 1:13:24 PM
>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine Selection
>>
>>Plenty of power. He's got a 173 RG. The Velocity was originally designed
>>for 160 hp. The DH180A4 is 180 hp up to 18,000 feet. The DH200A4 is 200
>>hp at 18,000 ft. Plus, the diesel has better torque at lower RPMs than a
>>Lycoming, and propellers are more efficient at lower RPMs. Plus it weighs
>>less if you take into account that it is 30% more fuel efficient, so you
>>don't need to carry as much fuel weight to get the same range. A DH160V4
>>is in the factory's test airplane. With the 160 hp engine they clocked
>>it at 202 mph at 15,500 feet, and 161 mph at 5,500 feet. And that is with
>>a fixed pitch propeller.
>>
>>The DeltaHawk has half the moving parts of a Lycoming, no spark ignition
>>to interfere with the radios, and burns readily available and slightly
>>cheaper Jet A. It is much smoother because it's a two-stroke. Plus,
>>since the DeltaHawk test platform is a Velocity Std RG, the firewall
>>foreward package is pre-designed.
>>
>>No, I don't own stock in the company. Just excited about the first
>>significant improvement in general aviation powerplants in 50 years.
>>
>>Doug Holub
>>Std Top Door, 50% done, 80% to go
>>
>>
>>----------
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040616/e57fe9fd/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list