REFLECTOR: Engine Selection

Alex Balic alex157 at direcway.com
Tue Jun 15 23:19:38 CDT 2004


I am running an SVX motor which I modified per specs from Crossflow to add
turbo charging-     Yes, it takes a lot of time- not such a problem for me
since I am not independently wealthy, I need to wait for funding on the
instruments and gold plated, diamond tipped (must be for that price) MT
prop.  If you look around you can get some really great deals- I got my
engine for $960 with all accessories including air conditioning (which I
will sell to reduce the net cost even further) sure I spent some (OK quite a
bit) to get it up to aircraft quality- AN fittings, fire sleeve and the
like, but I have a 325 (at least) hp engine/redrive for about 13k (plus a
lot of elbow grease)   I just found a nice radiator - all Aluminum by
Griffin from Summit racing for $160- also quite a deal.  I like the
reliability of the rotary, stayed away in the end because of high fuel burn
and cooling needs, but a lot of folks are going with them, including a guy
at my airport that has one in his Long EZ he is happy with it, and I know
that there is an RV4 that has been flying with one for years- also the guy
who started Blue Mountain EFIS has one in his Cozy - says it runs great....





 -----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Joe
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 7:23 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Engine Selection


  I am quickly approaching a point where I have to make a decision on engine
selection.  My current leaning is towards a Rotary, 20B.  To those who have
taken the auto conversion route, I ask if you had it to do over again would
you have made the same decision?  Would you opt for a firewall forward
package or build the engine accessories yourself?  On a 20B does anyone have
a good idea of what the total cost will run to build and install?  Atkins
Rotary is the only one I have found so far that will supply a firewall
forward package (less mount, radiators, prop) his price for a 20B is 20K,
sounds high to me but how does that compare with all the incidentals that
come with building your own?

  All opinions are appreciated.
  Joe
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040615/01ccc2bc/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list