REFLECTOR: Engine Selection
NMFlyer1 at aol.com
NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Tue Jun 15 21:04:17 CDT 2004
Joe,
In answer to some of your questions: Would I do it again? Well yes I
would. If I didn't, I probably could not get off the ground here in NM. I had two
basic reasons for going with the Chevy 4.3L Aluminum V-6 in my 173 FGE.
1, I needed enough power (after the density altitude penalty) to get off the
ground. Today the Density Altitude was almost 9000' and the field elevation
is 5000'. We have a 4500 x 40" runway with trees 1/4 mile from the departure
end.
My 325HP engine will deliver almost 240HP at these conditions (compared to
the 145 I'd get if I was lucky with an IO-360). Try to get that out of an
affordable and reliable powerplant without turbo worries.
2, I wanted something that I can maintain with the best parts available,
recent technology, and good reliability.
If I am ever lucky enough to fly this thing until it wears out, I can
rebuild it for pennies on the dollar compared to Lycosaures engines. If all I keep
is the bear block, head castings, and the bare crank, and replace every other
part including the bolts, I can rebuild this engine for about $4000.00
Now there are caveats to this. One piece of advice I got on the reflector
long ago is "just how experimental do you want to be?" Great piece to think
about. I am very comfortable with my decision, even though I am about 5 months
til flying.
It WILL take you much longer to build, even if you learn many things from
other similar builders. If I had used the IO-360, like I was supposed to, I'd
have a great plane and would have been flying it about 2 years ago. BUT,.... it
would have been risky considering my circumstances. Scott has been in here from
Grants, (and I missed meeting him), and he said it would be pretty hairy in
the summer time. I believe him!! Watching canards take off for some time, it
seems they need double the pavement of a standard config., aircraft.
There are tons of little tips that you will have to learn or find along the
way. Where to get parts made? what NOT to say when you are asking for parts,
lest you get blacklisted for fear of aviation ambulance chasers. All the
"little" parts take so long to dream up, engineer, build, fit, modify if
necessary.... it all takes a lot of time.
You must ask yourself some questions about WHY you wish to use an auto
conversion. If it is money.... Forget it in the short term... you can buy an E-360
for what most of us spend on auto engines.
If it is more power...find out how much you need.. and what your options are
to get there.
If it a combination of items... learn all your options.
I absolutely love building this thing and all the new ideas, methods and such
that I have gone through to date. It would be nice to be flying already....
but... ya have to compromise.
If you are like many V-flyers out there... have low Density altitude most of
the time... fly by yourself or with 2 people... have lots of pavement to use,
and want to fly sooner... Buy an aircraft engine and get in the air.
If you need some of the options that conversions have... and you have the
patience, money and time to complete the work.... Talk to people that have done
it... then decide.
A word of caution; When some says "firewall forward"... it almost never is
very close to a Firewall Backward setup!
One thing is for sure..... When Dennis Martin and I start our Chevys up on
the ramp with AL and his rotary..... some heads are going to turn. We will love
that because we earned the wondering looks we will receive. Boy did we earn
them ! :)
best of luck,
Kurt Winker
Aluminum 4.3L Chevy 173 FGE.
(wiring up the 50 pin connector to my engine monitor now.)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040615/6103ef92/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list