REFLECTOR:Old Standard Velocity Fuel Strakes.

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Thu Jun 10 21:45:06 CDT 2004


I definitely agree, repair the strakes that you have.  Replacing them would
be a real bear for little to no benefit over what you have now.  Too bad
Travis had to cut it up to get it into a storage building but it is
repairable,

Take your time and think through Brendon's process.  You should be able to
make them as good as new.  That is the nice thing about this fiberglass and
epoxy stuff.  Everything is repairable - well almost everything!!!

Ronnie

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard J. Gentil" <richard@naples-air-center.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Old Standard Velocity Fuel Strakes.


| Here are the pix as promised:
|
| http://www.velocityelite.com/highrez/strake1.jpg
|
| http://www.velocityelite.com/highrez/strake2.jpg
|
| http://www.velocityelite.com/highrez/strake3.jpg
|
| http://www.velocityelite.com/highrez/strake4.jpg
|
| http://www.velocityelite.com/highrez/strake5.jpg
|
| http://www.velocityelite.com/highrez/strake6.jpg
|
| http://www.velocityelite.com/highrez/strake7.jpg
|
| I think I am going to just do the repair and see if it is airtight. If
not, then I will
| look at removing and starting over.
|
| Richard
|
| "Richard J. Gentil" wrote:
|
| > Joe, Al, and Pat,
| >
| > Thanx again for your interest and insight. Here is the reply I had from
Brendan.
| > (Duane gave me the same response.)
| >
| > "Richard,
| > It is fixable. What is your background with working with fiberglass? It
| > isn't a difficult fix but I wouldn't want to take a fuel tank fix like
this
| > on as my first project without having someone who has previous
experience
| > near by. A Cozy ,Long-EZ or Velocity builder would do. Take the piece of
| > strake that was cut off. Cut the bottom part of the strake piece off
along
| > the leading edge. Glass the bottom section of the strake piece in place
| > using a 2 bid layup on the outside and on the inside. Reinstall the
baffle
| > that was cut and glass in place. Recoat all the joints with EZ-poxy to
seal
| > like the original tank was sealed. Make a 2 to 3 bid flange all the way
| > around the opening. This is so you have something for the top to seal
to.
| > Make a flange also down the leading edge where the top and bottom meet.
Bond
| > the top piece in place as the strake was originally bonded in with
EZ-poxy
| > and flox or milled fiber. Glass the outside with 2 bid as well. That's
it.
| > Again if you don't have previous glass experience and what I have
written
| > above sounds like Greek to you than you need to get some experienced
help to
| > tackle this repair.
| >
| > Brendan O'Riordan"
| >
| > I was wondering what the benefits of the old vs the new Strakes, since
depending on
| > what they were, would greatly influence whether I repair now and see
what happens or
| > just skip it and remove both Strakes and start over with the new Strake
design.
| >
| > I will post the High Rez Pix to my website shortly and I will send out
the link.
| >
| > Thanx again,
| >
| > Richard
| >
| > Joe wrote:
| >
| > > Welcome Richard,
| > > I am just about to finish my first strake.  It will be a tick over 3
weeks
| > > when I am finished.  That was starting with new parts and not having
to
| > > remove the old structure.  Unless the structural or fuel containment
| > > integrity is in question, I would think long and hard before deciding
to
| > > replace the strakes.  Cost may also be a consideration, I had to buy 2
new
| > > strake halves, 1 due to delamination and 1 for physical damage from
the
| > > previous owner - they cost $180 each.   Below is a cost estimate of
building
| > > new strakes, add shipping and/or sales tax and it will end up being
between
| > > $1500 and $2000. ( and a lot of hours)
| > >     $ 720 - Strakes 4 x 180
| > >     $ ??? - Wheel Wells 2 x ???
| > >     $  55 - Foam
| > >     $  80 - BID
| > >     $  80 - Structural Epoxy
| > >     $ 200 - Jeffco Epoxy
| > >     $ 200 - Fuel caps, tubing, supplies, contingencies.
| > >
| > > Joe
| > >
| > > ----- Original Message -----
| > > From: "Richard J Gentil" <richard@naples-air-center.com>
| > > To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
| > > Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 6:27 PM
| > > Subject: REFLECTOR:Old Standard Velocity Fuel Strakes.
| > >
| > > > Hey Gang,
| > > >
| > > > I am new to the Reflector. I recently purchased Travis Young's
Project.
| > > > He had a Standard Velocity RG that he converted to the Elite Doors.
So
| > > > what I have is the old style Fuel Strakes with the Elite Doors. (I
do
| > > > like that there is extra room for the door arm rest.)
| > > >
| > > > One thing Travis did was he cut badly into the left Fuel Strake with
a
| > > > hacksaw, in order to get the fuselage to fit into a self storage
unit.
| > > > (I do have pictures, but I did not know what the policy was for
| > > > including attachments in Reflector Emails.) I have to decide whether
to
| > > > repair the damage or just put on a new Strake.
| > > >
| > > > My question is, does the old style Strakes vs the new style Strakes
make
| > > > any difference in fuel capacity and cruise speed? (Since if I was
going
| > > > to start over on the one side, I could also do the other side so
they
| > > > are the new style Strakes.)
| > > >
| > > > Thanx,
| > > >
| > > > Richard
| > > >
| > > > _______________________________________________
| > > > To change your email address, visit
| > > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
| > > >
| > > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
| > > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| > > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| > > > Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
| > > >
| > >
| > > _______________________________________________
| > > To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
| > >
| > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
| > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| > > Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
| >
| > _______________________________________________
| > To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
| >
| > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
| > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
|
| _______________________________________________
| To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
|
| Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
| user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
|





More information about the Reflector mailing list