REFLECTOR: From IVO
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Jul 17 23:41:17 CDT 2004
I didn't have to read more than the first line of your reply to know that
you must be flying an IVO. I'd probably say the same thing if I was being
pushed around by one.
Scott
> How about some truth in reporting?
>
> A minor nitpick, their website says 700 horsepower, not 720.
> Now, I would be very cautious about this claim, because we all know about
> the history of the IVO. However, suppose that IVO prop were mounted on a
> turbine engine? Would it take 700 horspower? Perhaps. Someone should
> ask
> IVO for the engineering data on this application ... a responsible thing
> every builder should do. It appears as though you were one of the
> responsible builders. You asked if their product could be used on a
> TSIO520
> in pusher configuration, and the response was "no".
>
> It looks like the TSIO520 is good for 310(285 from other sources)
> horsepower
> at 2700 RPM. The MTV-18V electric prop weighs 45lbs and can take a max
> 260HP at 2800RPM. It's not big enough for your engine.
> The MTV-23 prop weighs 55lbs, and can take 350HP at 2700 RPM.
>
> I could not find any information on the MT regarding specific operating
> limitations, although it does address them, it does not say which engines
> are affected. Likewise, the IVO site does not say which engines have
> operating limitations with their prop. As a side note, I did find this
> interesting: http://www.mt-propeller.com/pdf/manuals/e-118.pdf. For
> overspeed limitations their chart for piston engines start at 110% RPM
> whereas the turbine engine graph starts at 120% max RPM. So even MT
> acknowleges a difference in engines. The point I'm getting to is that
> it's
> about power pulses and resonant vibrations being the problem, not Maximum
> absolute horsepower.
>
> The IVO weighs in at 26.7 lbs. Almost half of the MTV-18. Beef up the
> IVO
> until it weighed similar to the MT, and it *may* perform equally. But it
> doesn't weigh as much, so it most likely compromises on structural
> integrity
> at the higher torsional forces.
>
> I feel that the MT has real engineering, and real test cell data behind
> it.
> I saw a WWI documentary, and saw some footage from a factory and swore the
> logo on the props were identical to the MT logo, but their site says they
> have been in business since 1981. I also can't help noting that they like
> to blow their own horn as well with the following: "mt-propeller
> Entwicklung
> GmbH is specialized in the development, design and manufacture of variable
> and fixed pitch propellers for engines producing up to 4500 hp." Now, I'd
> like to see a piston engine at 4500HP not break a few propellers before
> they
> get it right.
>
> The 700HP IVO, and the 4500HP MT are most likely maximum engineering
> limits,
> and not flying examples. I have no information either way.
>
> So, I'll get off my soapbox about here and say that starting a flamewar
> over
> XXX product is rediculous. I've seen the performance of IVO, and MT on
> two
> Velocities. Both Franklin, both retract, only difference is one is a 173.
> Both props have performed up to now flawlessly. Would I like an MT? You
> bet. Would I pay for one? No. I would pay $5,000 for one. That's what
> I
> think it's worth. I'll go with the IVO, because I've seen it work on
> similar installations, and IVO blesses this combination. In parting, one
> last quote from the MT site(
> http://www.mt-propeller.com/pdf/manuals/e-118.pdf ):
>
> People who fly should recognize that various types of risks are
> involved; and they should take all precautions to minimize them,
> since they can not be eliminated entirely. The propeller is a vital
> component of the aircraft.
> ...
> It is essential that the propeller is always properly maintained
> according to the recommended service procedures and that a
> close watch is exercised to detect impending problems
> before they become serious. Any grease or oil leakage,
> unusual vibration, or unusual behavior during operation
> should be investigated and repaired as it could be a warning
> that something serious is wrong.
> Gerd R. Muhlbauer
> President
> MT-Propeller Entwicklung GmbH
>
> This holds true for any equipment on our aircraft.
> Okay, flame away.
>
>
> Brian Michalk <http://www.michalk.com>
> Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
> Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
> musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and barely single
>
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
>> Behalf Of Scott Derrick
>> Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 8:43 AM
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: From IVO
>>
>>
>> I sent IVO a request about their claim on their website that they made
>> props for up to 720 HP. Here's their response.
>>
>> Sounds like they can't handle anything but the weenie ultra light
>> motors to me.
>>
>>
>> Dear Sir,
>> We will not be putting anymore Ivoprops on Lycoming powered aircraft.
>> nor Cadillac direct drive, Continental O360, O470, O520, 0540,
>> DeltaHawk,
>> Jabiru 8 cylinder, Limbach, LOM, and M14P engines due to pulses
>> and harmonics.
>> Regards, www.ivoprop.com
>>
>> >From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
>> >To: <ivoprop at pacbell.net>
>> >Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 1:15 PM
>> >Subject: TSIO520
>> >
>> >
>> >> Do you have a prop that would work on a TSIO520, in a pusher
>> >configuration.
>> >>
>> >> thanks,
>> >>
>> >> Scott
>> >>
>>
>> "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
>> - Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list