REFLECTOR: Turbine Velocity
Scott Baker
sbakr at comcast.net
Wed Jul 14 17:20:53 CDT 2004
Mike Hillyer installed a Lycoming turbine (rated around 650-hp, I believe)
mated to a 5-blade Mt-propeller. He was visiting his fiancé in San Diego -
and went out to Montgomery Airport (near La Jolla) for a "quick" joy ride,
inviting along an airport acquaintance. He reported had "around" 30-minutes
of fuel on board when he took off for what was supposed to be a 15-minute
ride. He was with air traffic control when the aircraft ran out of fuel.
He headed for Miramar NAS (scene of the movie 'Top Gun') (and not
Montgomery, as stated in the news article). Unfortunately for Mike and his
passenger, the Navy had constructed a berm about a 100-yards in front of the
runway. Mike was that close to making a successful "dead stick" landing.
The aircraft struck the berm much like a car would hit a solid wall. The
deceleration forces killed Mike. If I'm not mistaken, his passenger, who
survived the crash, did not live.
I understand that Mike enjoyed the flying characteristics of his aircraft.
We kidded that his flying machine climbed at redline, cruised at redline,
descended at redline, and even taxied at redline.
My opinion - which I freely share with everyone - is that turbines like the
Lycoming, the Walter, and the PT-6 are simply "too much" engine for the
Velocity - and for the Lancair and for the Express. These are thirsty
monsters that will quickly suck dry a 100-gallon fuel tank. It is just not
a practical choice. Looking for turbine? Take a closer look at the Rolls
model 250-B17. It would make an excellent power plant for the Velocity.
Scott B.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Poole" <gpoole at zeta.org.au>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 5:52 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Turbine Velocity
> ...seeing I'm on a curiousity roll.....did anybody ever see or know
anything
> more about the turbine XL in the attached email that crashed in
California
> resulting in the owner/pilot fatality? (- see attached).
>
> I'd just like to know a little more about the former flying
characteristics
> of that plane given its' unusual powerplant (for a canard). I was also
very
> interested in some more details about the accident - from the photo the
> fuselage looks unbelievably intact and I am surprised the wings are still
on
> the plane given someone died in it. These questions have been bugging me
> since I learnt of the accident.
>
> Greg
> (bloody curious Australian!)
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list