REFLECTOR: Big engine on a STD RG?
Dave Dent
davedent at comcast.net
Wed Jul 7 15:59:01 CDT 2004
Way back when, I built up a TIO-360-C1A6D for Burt Rutan for his Boomerang.
We had two of them that we bought from the fellows at Featherlite. They
were going on John Ronce's new plane at the time. That devotionally grew to
need a larger engine. Burt got them at a real good price and I opened them
up to see how they survived long time storage. They were zero time engines.
You can still find these, sometimes they show up at Oshkosh. I have seen
them as low as $16K, zero time.
They have a solid crank in them with no counterweights. Great for some
aerobatic planes. They have a good turbo system on them and are one of the
most rugged built engine Lycoming produced. They were built for a special
program that fell through. So a number of years later they came up on the
block.
Burt and I decided to change out the $8500 crank for a sixth order crank,
$3500, because of the props he was going to install on the plane. So I
took one of the engines and changed out the crank and then we took the
engine off his Cat Bird and put it on the front of the plane. The other
engine -C1A we sold to a fellow at Livermore and he still has it sitting in
his hangar. Not installed on a plane. The two engines on the Boomerang are
not the same. One has an auto waste gate and the other a manual waste gate.
The manual one will produce more power at altitude.
So I do believe the TIO-360 is a great engine if you have the room to mount
it. The turbo sits back away from the engine case so this has to be
considered as well. Or you would have to redesign the exhaust system and
turbo mounting. Consider these kind of issues when selecting an engine as
well.
House power is not the only thing to consider. Airframe compatibility,
weight and props to use should also be taken into play as well
I know this is a little history about this engine selection and I hope I
haven't bored you with it but it is a thing to consider. when you come to
choosing an engine that maybe others haven't put on your type of plane.
Dave
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard J. Gentil" <richard at naples-air-center.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Big engine on a STD RG?
> I would be interested in hearing what kind of numbers the big engines are
producing. Right now I have not made my final choice for an engine. I am
> debating between the Lycoming TIO-360-C1A6D and the DeltaHawk DH200A4. I
would prefer a 6 cylinder engine should I go with a Lycoming, since I want
> something turbo charged and fuel injected. (The 4 cylinder turbo charged
Lycomings are not the greatest engines out there.)
>
> Richard
>
> Tom Martino wrote:
>
> > I have an Elite 173 RG with an IO-540. Scott Baker tells me he is only
aware of three like this: mine, Chuck (in California) and a guy in England.
> >
> > I should be test flying in August.
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: aminetech at bluefrog.com [mailto:aminetech at bluefrog.com]
> > Sent: Wed 7/7/2004 12:39 PM
> > To: reflector at tvbf.org
> > Cc:
> > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Big engine on a STD RG?
> >
> >
> >
> > Alan Shaw had one. I don't know who he sold it to.
> >
> > John
> >
> > Scott Derrick wrote:
> >
> > > Anybody on this list flying a STD Velocity with a big engine?
> > >
> > > 250 HP+
> > >
> > > Anybody know somebody that is and can give me his email addy
or I
> > pass on
> > > mine to them?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > Scott
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> >
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Name: winmail.dat
> > winmail.dat Type: application/ms-tnef
> > Encoding: base64
> >
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list