REFLECTOR: 2nd Oil Cooler
Andy Millin
amillin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 7 08:32:03 CDT 2004
Rich Guerra has a second oil cooler in the nose of his XL/RG. The
installation was designed my Malcolm Collier. It doesn't involve
pneumatics, but does allow him to dump heat overboard.
You can see it on his site: http://www.rguerra.com/velocity/
Look on the menu for "System Work" The oil cooler pictures are toward
the bottom of the section.
He also has a wing root oil cooler. Another possibility.
Andy
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 12:55 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: 2nd Oil Cooler
I'm starting to think about how to cool the oil in a TSIO520.
I have the standard nose cooler which is doing the job for my IO360,
though
my summer temps have been on the high end of comfort for me. We took
off from north Las Vegas yesterday, the oil temp stabilized at
218-220F
in a 500+ fpm climb from 2200 ft to 11500. Leveled off and leaned to 50
LOP, temps dropped to 208F for awhile and slowly climbed and stablized
at
215F for the rest of the flight back to GNT. It was really hot at
11500, about 60F !! A very strong inversion over Vegas, the OAT
climbed 5
degrees C from 2200 ft to 8000 ft!!! In the winter I can barely keep
the
temps "up" to 180-185F in cruise.
Back to oil coolers for a TSIO520...
I don't think the single nose cooler will be enough for a turbo'd
520. Just the addition of cooling the turbo bearings will put me over
the
capacity of the nose cooler.
Somebody mentioned the idea of putting an additional oil cooler under
the
rear seat and recirculating air in the cabin for heat, and if cabin heat
not needed, having an air valve to bring in outside air and dump it
back
side. Anybody done this? Have pictures? Thoughts? The recirculating
of
inside air seems easy enough, its the air valves for switching to
outside
air that have my scratching my head.
With a recirculating heater I think I could remove the nose cooler cabin
heat diverter, which is marginal in really cold winter air. I think
removing the diverter would increase the air flow through the nose
cooler
and make it more effective.
Scott
"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list