REFLECTOR: Props and runway surfaces

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Jul 6 23:15:53 CDT 2004


Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Props and runway surfaces (was XLRG on grass)

 

I had a long talk with Catto today.  It was most interesting.  When he gets

back from France he and I are putting together a test.  Before he gets back

I am doing a data collection on the MT with my XL  Then he's going to build

me a fixed pitch prop like he did for my the EZ and Cozy.  Of course it will

be for a IO-540 260hp engine.  Much like he did for the Jack Morrison

supercharged E-racer that is pushing a IO-540.  And seeing better then

270Kts.  But he will design it around the Velocity XL specs needed, to come

within 10% of what the MT can do   I told him it wouldn't be hard.  Also it

will be better explosion proof prop, unlike the MT's.  I have seen what a

Catto prop can take and survive.

 

I know one thing the construction would be a lot better and  it will cost

close to $10,000 Less.  Let alone do away with the pitch control issue and

all that goes with it.

 

If you want to see one on the IO-540 take a look at the November 2003  Sport

Aviation Magazine. Page 44.

 

Speaking of props - I got my Catto prop on Friday; and it’s a beauty (Photos
attached).  66” diameter, 68” pitch and weighs only 17 ½ lbs.  Unfortunately
my 6” prop extension weighs another 7 lbs, but, hey; no biggie.  Made to run
up to 2950 rpm.  Supposedly, that calcs out at over 225 kts (255 mph) at sea
level on my SE RG and 265 hp rotary.  I think I would reserve those speeds
for higher altitudes.

 

Just thought I’d share . . . 

 

Al



More information about the Reflector mailing list