REFLECTOR: XLRG on Grass

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 10:48:54 CDT 2004


I agree with you related to the Catto prop.  I have been flying his props
since 1993 and have found none better.  When I was in the RPV business I had
him build me some  props for the Pathfinder solar plane as well as a couple
for two planes built by Scaled.  They were the best.  He got over 80,000 ft
out of them on the Pathfinder.
I have flown them on both my Long EZ and Cozy.  You would have to fight me
to take them off.
I have thought about calling him and asking him to make a set of blades to
replace my MT's.  At least he has some kind of an airfoil on them that will
produce thrust rather then just move air.  So I think we are all thinking
along the same lines. Also for a composite prop they are almost bullet
proof.  I have seen evidence of this.


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Alex Balic" <alex157 at direcway.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 7:20 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: XLRG on Grass


> It seems to me that the MT prop blades are notoriously damage prone- it
> would be great of Craig Catto could produce their blades for them, but I
am
> sure that they are too proud for that, and they would probably sue him if
he
> made aftermarket blades for their hub.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
> Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 7:02 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: XLRG on Grass
>
>
> John Ward has a standard, IO360 with M/T prop and flies off of a 2600'
grass
> strip in Alabama with good results.
>
> Hopefully, John will chime in.
>
> Ronnie Brown
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <TimRhod at aol.com>
> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 11:08 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: XLRG on Grass
>
>
> | Can Anyone share their experience using the XLRG on grass strips. Does
it
> | hurt you MT prop if it hits the grass?  Does it hit the grass on
rotation
> or
> | landing?   Any gear problems on grass. Im considering retiring to  an
> airpark
> | and a lot of the ones I'm considering have grass Strips. If grass is  OK
> what
> | would you consider a minimum runway length?   Thanks Tim  Rhodenbaugh
> | _______________________________________________
> | To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> |
> | Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> | user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> | Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> | Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>





More information about the Reflector mailing list