Pressure Picture was Re: REFLECTOR:Lower winglet

Al Gietzen reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:08:16 -0800


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C3E5EB.3AFF7000
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 

 

I'm not sure that explains it.  The colors were computer generated, and
I'm not sure

prop effects were considered.  Wouldn't the spinner be a low pressure
area since the

prop produces no thrust at the hub?  Wouldn't there be a slightly
different pressure

pattern across the wings near the fuselage if the prop was producing
power?

Just wonderin'  ....  Jim S.

 

I'm not certain either, but I also doubt that prop effects are included.
The pressure could be high there anyway as the air converges off the
cowling.  The prop has little effect on pressure much more than a foot
or so in front.  The lack of low pressure over the strakes is, of
course, that the strakes are a poor airfoil, and are set to be at
neutral AOA at cruise.

 

Al


------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C3E5EB.3AFF7000
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">


<meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 10 (filtered)">

<style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Verdana;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Nimrod;
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 1 2 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:Nimrod;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 62.3pt 1.0in 62.3pt;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue vlink=3Dpurple>

<div class=3DSection1>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 face=3DNimrod><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 face=3DNimrod><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 face=3DNimrod><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'>I'm
not sure that explains it.&nbsp; The colors were computer generated, and =
I'm
not sure</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 face=3DNimrod><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'>prop
effects were considered.&nbsp; Wouldn't the spinner be a low pressure =
area
since the</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 face=3DNimrod><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'>prop
produces no thrust at the hub?&nbsp; Wouldn't there be a slightly =
different
pressure</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 face=3DNimrod><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'>pattern
across the wings near the fuselage if the prop was producing =
power?</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 face=3DNimrod><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'>Just
wonderin'&nbsp; ....&nbsp; Jim S.</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 face=3DNimrod><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:Verdana'>I'm not certain either, but I also doubt that prop =
effects
are included.&nbsp; The pressure could be high there anyway as the air =
converges
off the cowling.&nbsp; The prop has little effect on pressure much more =
than a
foot or so in front.&nbsp; The lack of low pressure over the strakes is, =
of
course, that the strakes are a poor airfoil, and are set to be at =
neutral AOA
at cruise.</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 color=3Dblack =
face=3DVerdana><span
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Verdana;color:black'>&nbsp;</span><=
/font></p>

<p class=3DMsoPlainText><font size=3D2 color=3Dblack =
face=3DVerdana><span
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Verdana;color:black'>Al</span></fon=
t></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C3E5EB.3AFF7000--