REFLECTOR: Cabin Heating

Scott reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:52:35 -0700


John,

I get a strong burnt rubber smell with very take off. Mine's from the nose 
wheel rubbing on the doors as it spins down.

There are no rub marks on the mains wheel wells.  I tried stepping on the 
brakes before retraction to stop the spinning wheels before they came up 
into the wells, it made no difference. You may try that.


Scott

At 10:30 AM 1/28/2004, you wrote:
>Chuck,
>I have no rub marks on the nose doors, but do have some on the insides of 
>the fork so I suppose it's possible.  However when I landed I sniffed all 
>around and found the identical smell at the brakes and nowhere else.  I do 
>expect my brakes to be hot on takeoff because I'm still wrestling with my 
>technique for steering the nose wheel.  I also expect under the wing to be 
>a high pressure area during high AOA which would force air into the cabin.
>
>John
>
>Chuck Jensen wrote:
>
>>John,
>>
>>I don't want to question your nose but I think you're smelling the spinning
>>nose wheel when it settles against the closed nose doors?  At least I've got
>>rub marks there and I smell it upon retract. I have no rub marks at all in
>>the main gear wells.  One wouldn't expect your brakes to be hot from a take
>>off and, besides, I'm not sure we'd ever smell burnt rubber/brakes from the
>>mains as the air flow will probably sweep it out behind us.  The nose knows
>>may not be true this time.
>>
>>Chuck
>>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>


"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin