REFLECTOR: Cabin Heating

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:14:59 -0500


I agree with Scott,  99% of Velocities DO NOT behave as meat lockers.

Mine has good heat at 32 degrees - too much in fact. I have to close it down
to barely cracked open.  How does it do at 15 degrees, I don't know - ain't
been there yet.

Get those air leaks stopped, and make the existing system work.  It can and
it will work.

My heat starts working about 10-15 minutes into flight.  You can see it in
the engine oil temp.  Less than 180 degrees and the Vernatherm is open and
bypassing oil back to the engine.  If it is above 180, the Vernatherm has
closed and hot oil is circulating through the oil cooler.

Ronnie



----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 10:57 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heating


| At 06:46 AM 1/28/2004, you wrote:
| >If 99% of the V has the same heater configuration (for the RGs?), then
they
| >must have same "meat locker" problem. Anything below OAT 0C is just a
real
| >problem.  I resent hating to take a trip in the cold part of winter
knowing
| >how much it's going to hurt.  A few extra pounds of hardware seems like a
| >small price to pay for relief.
|
| No they don't all have the "meat locker" problem, that is my point.
|
| Almost every V I've seen, leaks air into the cabin like no tomorrow. Huge
| leaks.  There is just no way your going to heat up the cabin  with all
that
| very cold air blowing in.
|
| Close the leaks and the cabin can be nice and toasty.   Even with my one
| big leak left, the nose gear into the keel area , I can cook you out of
teh
| front seats in my plane at 15 F OAT. And I have the nose oil cooler as the
| only means of heat.
|
| I think if you would plug the leaks, there is no problem.
|
| Scott
|
| _______________________________________________
| To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
|
| Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
| user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html