REFLECTOR: Cabin Heating
Jim Sower
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:48:02 -0600
--------------E9CFC55CC812E99DBC520A9C
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Dave,
<... I prefer plumbing the coolers in parallel. This way you can independently choose
how much oil flows through each cooler. ...>
I've always been partial to plumbing the coolers parallel, but have no way of knowing
whether or not they are getting even remotely equal flow rates through them. I've
heard that a surprisingly small difference in resistance will result in a very
substantial difference in flow volume. I know folks who have auto conversions with
two identical radiators plumbed parallel and discovering very large discrepancies in
flow volume - and they don't have anything remotely like the differences in plumbing
that our oil coolers have.
How might one quantify this kind of thing? .... Jim S.
Dave Black wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> > Bottom line; I'm going to try a second oil cooler, in series with the front
> > cooler, that's dedicated solely to cabin heat.
>
> If you put the second cooler INSIDE the cabin, and use a small fan to
> recirculate the air, you'll have all the heat you could ever want. As you have
> demonstrated, the Nose Cooler can heat the air only a certain number of
> degrees above OAT, since it's always working with fresh, cold air. The
> interior recirculating cooler, however, can theoretically bring cabin
> temperatures to temperatures approaching that of the oil.
>
> I'm not certain I'd run the coolers in series. In winter, the oil is apt to be
> very cool before returning to the engine. And in summer, you'll still have
> some leakage of heat into the cabin even without the blower running. I prefer
> plumbing the coolers in parallel. This way you can independently choose how
> much oil flows through each cooler.
>
> Dave Black
> Shortwing RG
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5
Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T
--------------E9CFC55CC812E99DBC520A9C
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
Dave,
<br><... I prefer plumbing the coolers in parallel. This way you can
independently choose how much oil flows through each cooler. ...>
<br>I've always been partial to plumbing the coolers parallel, but have
no way of knowing whether or not they are getting even remotely equal flow
rates through them. I've heard that a surprisingly small difference
in resistance will result in a <b>very</b> substantial difference in flow
volume. I know folks who have auto conversions with two identical
radiators plumbed parallel and discovering very large discrepancies in
flow volume - and they don't have anything remotely like the differences
in plumbing that our oil coolers have.
<p>How might one quantify this kind of thing? .... Jim S.
<br>
<p>Dave Black wrote:
<blockquote TYPE=CITE>Chuck,
<p>> Bottom line; I'm going to try a second oil cooler, in series with
the front
<br>> cooler, that's dedicated solely to cabin heat.
<p>If you put the second cooler INSIDE the cabin, and use a small fan to
<br>recirculate the air, you'll have all the heat you could ever want.
As you have
<br>demonstrated, the Nose Cooler can heat the air only a certain number
of
<br>degrees above OAT, since it's always working with fresh, cold air.
The
<br>interior recirculating cooler, however, can theoretically bring cabin
<br>temperatures to temperatures approaching that of the oil.
<p>I'm not certain I'd run the coolers in series. In winter, the oil is
apt to be
<br>very cool before returning to the engine. And in summer, you'll still
have
<br>some leakage of heat into the cabin even without the blower running.
I prefer
<br>plumbing the coolers in parallel. This way you can independently choose
how
<br>much oil flows through each cooler.
<p>Dave Black
<br>Shortwing RG
<br>_______________________________________________
<br>To change your email address, visit <a href="http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector">http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector</a>
<p>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
<br>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
<br>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
<br>Check old archives: <a href="http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html">http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html</a></blockquote>
<p>--
<br>Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything
<br>Crossville, TN; Chapter 5
<br>Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T
<br> </html>
--------------E9CFC55CC812E99DBC520A9C--