REFLECTOR:Lower Winglets

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:26:59 -0500


This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3E4F2.63985EC0
Content-Type: text/plain

Jack made a joke about training wheels on the winglets, well, I was thinking
maybe boogie wheels could be mounted on 'em.  I started out with full
dimension, which we will call X, lower winglets.  My left winglet is now
X-1/4".  Night landing, blowing snow and 12-15kt gusting crosswind.  Just at
touchdown, the upwind wing yielded excellent, but not appreciated, lift.
Apparently, I made a two point touchdown (left main and left winglet),
though it wasn't obvious at the time.  The CFII commented that "that was
interesting."  I assured him it was fun when you get to use all the controls
during a landing.
 
During preflight the next day, I nonchalantly ran my hand along the bottom
of the winglet and thought it felt rough.  In looking, I could see the top
glass layer was "ground" down some.  So, the training wheel idea holds more
appeal than you might think.  While some have joked about it, I haven't
heard anyone else admit to unscheduled size reduction of the winglet but I
find it hard to believe other(s) haven't suffered the ignominy.  Any
volunteers?
 
Chuck

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3E4F2.63985EC0
Content-Type: text/html

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">


<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Verdana;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }
P.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
A:link {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: blue; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-DECORATION: none
}
DIV.Section1 {
	page: Section1
}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY lang=EN-US vLink=purple link=blue bgColor=white>
<DIV><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: blue"><SPAN 
class=390050416-27012004>Jack made a joke about training wheels on the winglets, 
well, I was thinking maybe boogie wheels could be mounted on 'em.&nbsp; I 
started out with full dimension, which we will call X, lower winglets.&nbsp; My 
left winglet is now X-1/4".&nbsp; Night landing, blowing snow and 12-15kt 
gusting crosswind.&nbsp; Just at touchdown, the upwind wing yielded excellent, 
but not appreciated, lift.&nbsp; Apparently, I made a two point touchdown (left 
main and left winglet), though it wasn't obvious at the time.&nbsp; The CFII 
commented that "that was interesting."&nbsp; I assured him it was fun when you 
get to use all the controls during a landing.</SPAN></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: blue"><SPAN 
class=390050416-27012004></SPAN></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: blue"><SPAN 
class=390050416-27012004>During preflight the next day, I nonchalantly ran my 
hand along the bottom of the winglet and thought it felt rough.&nbsp; In 
looking, I could see the top glass layer was "ground" down some.&nbsp; So, the 
training wheel idea holds more appeal than you might think.&nbsp; While some 
have joked about it, I haven't&nbsp;heard anyone else admit to unscheduled size 
reduction of the winglet but I find it hard to believe other(s) haven't suffered 
the ignominy.&nbsp; Any volunteers?</SPAN></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: blue"><SPAN 
class=390050416-27012004></SPAN></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: blue"><SPAN 
class=390050416-27012004>Chuck</SPAN></SPAN></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3E4F2.63985EC0--