REFLECTOR:Experimental:Lower Winglets
reflector@tvbf.org
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:19:42 -0500
I love reading all the different theories and ideas that people have, makes me feel slightly less odd.
I have the 173 FGE. Since Canards are such runway hogs, and high density altitude is a factor here, I made quite a few "adjustments" to my V.
Canard: No elevator cuffs, and factory VG's.
Winglets (tipsails): Lower winglets are 2" instead of the full size, to keep spanwise flow from sliding off the edge of the wing. As a bonus, they look a whole lot better than the full size lowers.
I also made my rudders full length. This just happens to make the rudder the same size as if I had full lower winglets.
Wings: I will use the vortilons, and possibly the fences, we shall see.
PowerPlant: 340HP Aluminum V-6 Chevy, 76" 3 blade CS Prop.
Derated by density altitude, I should still have tons of power for takeoff around here.
The whole goal was to be able to depart my home (5000' before DA takes effect), from a 5000' runway. Any possible speed increase will just be a bonus!
This is all still theory since I am not flying yet, but the test should come this summer. If I would have followed the directions, I would have been done a couple years ago..... but may not have been able to fly on a hot day out here. We shall see.
Kurt Winker.