REFLECTOR: Vortilons

Scott Baker reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:43:46 -0500


Personally ... for the big wing ... since I don't envision short field ops,
I'd go with the vortilons and I'd try the trailing edge fences (out of
curiosity) to see if they make any significant improvement.
Scott B.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Tom Martino" <tmartino@troubleshooter.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 2:40 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Vortilons


> OK ... I must ask the obvious question of those at the factory (Scott,
Brenden, etc.) ...
> If you were considering what to do on your very own plane ... what would
you do?
>
> Vortilons?  VGs?  Fences?  All three?  One or the other?
>
> I know that you are reluctant to make general recommendations ... but I am
asking what would YOU do?
>
>
>
> -----Original Message----- 
> From: Jack Sheehan [mailto:j.f.sheehan@larc.nasa.gov]
> Sent: Mon 1/26/2004 12:03 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Cc:
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Vortilons
>
>
>
> Wow ! So much discussion VG's Vortillons , Trailing edge fences. I
> must be nuts. I have about 150 Hours on my XL-RG I did the test
> flying without anything. It flew great. I painted the airplane and it
> flew better. ( guess I just got better). I have looked at all the
> stuff and am reluctant to make any changes because the wing just
> looks good clean. The airplane gets a little sloppy below 100 knots
> with the gear down. You have to use the rudders to lead the turn and
> the aileron inputs are very deliberate. The problem I have is I am so
> used to it everything feels OK. I plan to install the vortillons and
> see if that makes a big change and then put on some trailing edge
> fences to see if that does anything. I would remove anything that
> effects the top end. I would rather go fast.
> The only other modification I would be looking to do would be to get
> some more heat in the airplane. On a trip back from Kentucky last
> week I was really cold OAT -8C @  FL 015 but the ground speed was 260
> KTS 285 in the decent.
> Jack
> N55XL
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>