REFLECTOR: VG's and Vortilons
Ronnie Brown
reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:39:43 -0500
Dave,
I have looked through my manuals, reflector notes, reflector archives and my
list of questions and answers that I compiled over the last 4 years and
unfortunately I can't seem to lay my hands on the statement re "vortilons
not needed if using VG's". My apologies.
Now I am awaiting a comment from Scott Baker. (;o))
I do know that I have 120 hours on my 173 Elite RG - VG's, no elevator cuffs
and no Vortilons and it flies great! I love my airplane!!!!!
I am getting ready to do my first annual and I may stick the vortilons on
and see if I can detect any differences. My stall consists of a mush of the
canard, not the pitch buck. Aileron control is very good all the way down
to the canard stall.
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Teter" <ezaviator@truetechsys.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Trailing Edge Fences
| Ronnie,
| Can you give the name of the individual at the factory that said vortilons
| were not needed?
| If you read this in a document published by the factory, can you site that
| document?
|
| Thanks,
| David
|
| ----- Original Message -----
| From: "Ronnie Brown" <romott@adelphia.net>
| To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
| Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 9:11 AM
| Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Trailing Edge Fences
|
|
| > The factory said the Vortilons would not be needed if the VG's were
| > installed. I did not install Vortilons and my 173 Elite flies and
handles
| > great at low speeds.
| >
| > However, the Vortilons do not replace the VG's for lowering
landing/stall
| > speeds. Or for improving the low speed handling.
| >
| > I do not recall the history of the Vortilons - why they were required by
| > Burt.
| >
| > Ronnie
| >
| > ----- Original Message -----
| > From: "Scott" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
| > To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
| > Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 9:46 AM
| > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Trailing Edge Fences
| >
| >
| > | My plane flies completely differently with or without VG's.
| > |
| > | I of course have the Vortilons installed in addition to the VG's. I
| > gained
| > | 300 ft per minute climb rate with the VG's, also reduced my
landing/take
| > | off speed by 5 knots.
| > |
| > | I'm quite amazed at the level of misunderstanding in regards to
| Vortilons
| > | and VG's with this list?
| > |
| > | Scott
| > |
| > | At 06:19 PM 1/24/2004, you wrote:
| > | >jack,
| > | >
| > | > > I have a standard RG Elite and only have the VGs (i.e., no
| vortilons).
| > The
| > | > > aircraft handles very well even at very low landing speeds.
| > | > > ...I would disagree and say that you don't need the vortilons if
you
| > | > > have the VGs installed.
| > | >
| > | >Your ovservations agree with others I've heard. In other words, if
you
| > have
| > | >the vortilons, you don't need the VGs.
| > | >
| > | >Dave Black
| > | >Shortwing RG
| > | >_______________________________________________
| > | >To change your email address, visit
| > | >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
| > | >
| > | >Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
| > | >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| > | >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| > | >Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
| > |
| > |
| > | "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
| > | - Benjamin Franklin
| > |
| > | _______________________________________________
| > | To change your email address, visit
| > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
| > |
| > | Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
| > | user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| > | Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| > | Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
| >
| >
| > _______________________________________________
| > To change your email address, visit
| http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
| >
| > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
| > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
| >
| >
|
| _______________________________________________
| To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
|
| Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
| user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html