REFLECTOR:Digifly EFIS

Andy Millin reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:22:42 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C3D0BE.27AEDA00
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I may be missing something here, but from what I understand, it would be
perfectly legal to fly without a NAV receiver.  It is legal to shoot all VOR
and NDB approaches using a GPS.  About the only thing you couldn't do would
be an ILS, or localizer approach.  As long as you can locate the
intersections, and a GPS is better at that than the NAV, then you are good
to go.

Andy
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of Ronnie Brown
  Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 2:02 PM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Digifly EFIS


  The panel looks great Wayne. You have done a great job picking and
choosing.

  The only thing I would add is some sort of VOR receiver/CDI so you can fly
legal IFR.  I fly the east coast often, and there is enough ugly days to
make light IFR a real asset, just getting out of a foggy airport, climbing
to nice weather on top, a local IFR let down to descend through a solid
layer where there is  1000-3000 foot ceilings.  And the TruTrack will make
single pilot IFR much easier.

  Are you flying yet?  Sounds like you are close!

  Happy New Year and Happy Flying!

  Ronnie
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Wayne Lanza
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 10:50 AM
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Digifly EFIS


    Happy New Year to ALL!!!

    Al Gietzen asks about the component / configuration details regarding
    my instrument panel, so here goes...

    I decided to use the Digifly fms100 EFIS systems along with the fms-AT
    (AHRS) and fms-ENG (engine data module). This combination affords
    me a fairly complete instrument compliment with some redundancy and
    a great deal of flexibility. The fms100 display has three primary
display
    modes which can be selected on any screen at any time. This is possible
    because the engine and flight data come from their respective modules
    via a serial link that is fed to all displays. Each display has it's own
CPU
    and does not rely on a big box somewhere in the airplane, this makes
    for some really simplified wiring. The three display modes are moving
    map (Jepp data base), PFD (primary flight display) and engine data.
    You can not split the screen but access to alternate pages is 1-2 key
    strokes away. There is an alarm function that will flash a red border to
    alert you of an out of bounds parameter, this function can also be used
    to flash an external annunciator if desired. To sum up the usefulness of
    the alarm, consider that you have a 1 or 2 screen system and are not
    looking at the engine page on either - an engine problem will flash the
    border on the current display, you can then goto the engine page or
    goto the menu and look at an alarm listing.
    I have decided to use two Garmin GPS16 WAAS receivers, one is shared
    between the two upper displays while #2 is devoted to the lower left
screen.
    This gives me complete navigational redundancy. I can also select that
either
    the upper or lower left screen be ported to the auto pilot.

    For radios and transponder I am using the Microair equipment. It is
small
    affordable is well regarded by the avionics shop's that I have spoke to.
I have
    reluctantly decided to forego the installation of a NAV radio. Most of
our flying
    will be up and down the east coast, light IFR, and we have family all
along the
    way. I will have to be mindful of not getting caught in the crap...

    Other than that I've installed a TruTrak 'Digitrak" A/P, Davtron
chronometer,
    Flightcom 403 intercom and a CD player. The power panel is a one off of
my
    design. The instrument panel was hand molded, trimmed in grey vinyl and
    varnished mahogany. The artwork is 10 mil thick Lexan overlay.

    There is a single Jeff Rose ignition installed on the IO360-C1C6, the 4
jugs
    have under 200hrs since Lycoming factory new - the rest of the engine is
in
    excellent shape and has been professionally maintained. I've installed
the new
    stainless forward exhaust, all new engine sensors, etc... While at it, I
painted
    everything that I didn't have powder coated. There is a blower for fresh
air -
    gets hot here... and I added a secondary power system for EFIS backup.

    When I bought this airplane, Duane Swing included all new landing gear,
    wheels, brakes, tires, interior and replacement of any other major
defectives.
    We found 2 required AD's, oil pump and wrist pins. I 'started' this
project by
    gutting the airframe to the 'glass and going anew from there - a lot of
work!
    But I'd like to thank Duane & Scott for their support and a great deal
on 81VA.
    If you get by the factory, stop by the builder's center and say hello.

    Best Regards,
    Wayne Lanza
    Composite Design, Inc.

    For more information on the Digifly please visit our web page at-
    http://www.CompositeDesignInc.com
    ______________________________________________________________

    On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 08:34 PM, Al Gietzen wrote:


      ... Needless to say I built a new panel
      for my new toy and included the Fms systems in the effort. Find
attached a
      small JPEG of my panel, if you would like more detail - just let me
know.

       Cheers,
      Wayne

      Oh; I see – just a couple a little changesJ.
      Yeah; maybe you could list out the major items.

      Al

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C3D0BE.27AEDA00
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D940241904-02012004><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>I may=20
be missing something here, but from what I understand, it would be =
perfectly=20
legal to fly without a NAV receiver.&nbsp; It is legal to shoot all VOR =
and NDB=20
approaches using a GPS.&nbsp; About the only thing you couldn't do would =
be an=20
ILS, or localizer approach.&nbsp; As long as you can locate the =
intersections,=20
and a GPS is better at that than the NAV, then you are good to=20
go.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D940241904-02012004><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D940241904-02012004><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>Andy</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Ronnie=20
  Brown<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, January 01, 2004 2:02 PM<BR><B>To:</B> =

  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Digifly=20
  EFIS<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>The panel looks great Wayne. You have done a great =
job=20
  picking and choosing.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>The only thing I would add is some sort of VOR =
receiver/CDI=20
  so you can fly legal IFR.&nbsp; I fly the east coast often, and there =
is=20
  enough ugly days to make light IFR a real asset, just getting out of a =
foggy=20
  airport, climbing to nice weather on top, a local IFR let down to =
descend=20
  through a solid layer where there is&nbsp; 1000-3000 foot =
ceilings.&nbsp; And=20
  the TruTrack will make single pilot IFR much easier.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Are you flying yet?&nbsp; Sounds like you are=20
  close!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Happy New Year and Happy Flying!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV=20
    style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
    <A title=3Dwlanza@bellsouth.net =
href=3D"mailto:wlanza@bellsouth.net">Wayne=20
    Lanza</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
    href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, January 01, =
2004 10:50=20
    AM</DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: =
REFLECTOR:Digifly=20
    EFIS</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>Happy New Year to ALL!!!<BR><BR>Al Gietzen asks about =
the=20
    component / configuration details regarding<BR>my instrument panel, =
so here=20
    goes...<BR><BR>I decided to use the Digifly fms100 EFIS systems =
along with=20
    the fms-AT<BR>(AHRS) and fms-ENG (engine data module). This =
combination=20
    affords<BR>me a fairly complete instrument compliment with some =
redundancy=20
    and<BR>a great deal of flexibility. The fms100 display has three =
primary=20
    display<BR>modes which can be selected on any screen at any time. =
This is=20
    possible<BR>because the engine and flight data come from their =
respective=20
    modules<BR>via a serial link that is fed to all displays. Each =
display has=20
    it's own CPU<BR>and does not rely on a big box somewhere in the =
airplane,=20
    this makes<BR>for some really simplified wiring. The three display =
modes are=20
    moving<BR>map (Jepp data base), PFD (primary flight display) and =
engine=20
    data.<BR>You can not split the screen but access to alternate pages =
is 1-2=20
    key <BR>strokes away. There is an alarm function that will flash a =
red=20
    border to<BR>alert you of an out of bounds parameter, this function =
can also=20
    be used<BR>to flash an external annunciator if desired. To sum up =
the=20
    usefulness of<BR>the alarm, consider that you have a 1 or 2 screen =
system=20
    and are not <BR>looking at the engine page on either - an engine =
problem=20
    will flash the<BR>border on the current display, you can then goto =
the=20
    engine page or <BR>goto the menu and look at an alarm listing.<BR>I =
have=20
    decided to use two Garmin GPS16 WAAS receivers, one is =
shared<BR>between the=20
    two upper displays while #2 is devoted to the lower left =
screen.<BR>This=20
    gives me complete navigational redundancy. I can also select that=20
    either<BR>the upper or lower left screen be ported to the auto=20
    pilot.<BR><BR>For radios and transponder I am using the Microair =
equipment.=20
    It is small<BR>affordable is well regarded by the avionics shop's =
that I=20
    have spoke to. I have<BR>reluctantly decided to forego the =
installation of a=20
    NAV radio. Most of our flying<BR>will be up and down the east coast, =
light=20
    IFR, and we have family all along the<BR>way. I will have to be =
mindful of=20
    not getting caught in the crap...<BR><BR>Other than that I've =
installed a=20
    TruTrak 'Digitrak" A/P, Davtron chronometer,<BR>Flightcom 403 =
intercom and a=20
    CD player. The power panel is a one off of my<BR>design. The =
instrument=20
    panel was hand molded, trimmed in grey vinyl and<BR>varnished =
mahogany. The=20
    artwork is 10 mil thick Lexan overlay.<BR><BR>There is a single Jeff =
Rose=20
    ignition installed on the IO360-C1C6, the 4 jugs<BR>have under =
200hrs since=20
    Lycoming factory new - the rest of the engine is in<BR>excellent =
shape and=20
    has been professionally maintained. I've installed the =
new<BR>stainless=20
    forward exhaust, all new engine sensors, etc... While at it, I=20
    painted<BR>everything that I didn't have powder coated. There is a =
blower=20
    for fresh air - <BR>gets hot here... and I added a secondary power =
system=20
    for EFIS backup. <BR><BR>When I bought this airplane, Duane Swing =
included=20
    all new landing gear,<BR>wheels, brakes, tires, interior and =
replacement of=20
    any other major defectives.<BR>We found 2 required AD's, oil pump =
and wrist=20
    pins. I 'started' this project by<BR>gutting the airframe to the =
'glass and=20
    going anew from there - a lot of work!<BR>But I'd like to thank =
Duane &amp;=20
    Scott for their support and a great deal on 81VA.<BR>If you get by =
the=20
    factory, stop by the builder's center and say hello.<BR><BR>Best=20
    Regards,<BR>Wayne Lanza<BR>Composite Design, Inc.<BR><BR>For more=20
    information on the Digifly please visit our web page=20
    =
at-<BR>http://www.CompositeDesignInc.com<BR>_____________________________=
_________________________________<BR><BR>On=20
    Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 08:34 PM, Al Gietzen wrote:<BR><BR>
    <BLOCKQUOTE><?smaller>... Needless to say I built a new<?/smaller> =
<?smaller>panel<?/smaller><BR><?smaller>for my new toy and included the=20
      Fms systems in the effort. Find<?/smaller> <?smaller>attached=20
      a<?/smaller><BR><?smaller>small JPEG of my panel, if you would =
like more=20
      detail - just let me<?/smaller> =
<?smaller>know.<?/smaller><BR><BR><?smaller>&nbsp;Cheers,<?/smaller><BR><=
?smaller>Wayne<?/smaller><BR><BR><?fontfamily><?param =
Verdana><?color><?param 0000,0000,0000><?smaller>Oh;=20
      I see =96 just a couple a little =
changes<?/smaller><?/color><?/fontfamily><?color><?param =
0000,0000,0000>J<?fontfamily><?param =
Verdana>.<?/fontfamily><?/color><BR><?fontfamily><?param =
Verdana><?color><?param 0000,0000,0000><?smaller>Yeah;=20
      maybe you could list out the major =
items.<?/smaller><?/color><?/fontfamily><BR><BR><?fontfamily><?param =
Verdana><?color><?param =
0000,0000,0000><?smaller>Al<?/smaller><?/color><?/fontfamily><BR></BLOCKQ=
UOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C3D0BE.27AEDA00--