REFLECTOR:Digifly EFIS

Wayne Lanza reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:50:44 -0500


--Apple-Mail-30-175764523
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset=WINDOWS-1252;
	format=flowed

Happy New Year to ALL!!!

  Al Gietzen asks about the component / configuration details regarding
my instrument panel, so here goes...

  I decided to use the Digifly fms100 EFIS systems along with the fms-AT
(AHRS) and fms-ENG (engine data module). This combination affords
me a fairly complete instrument compliment with some redundancy and
a great deal of flexibility. The fms100 display has three primary=20
display
modes which can be selected on any screen at any time. This is possible
because the engine and flight data come from their respective modules
via a serial link that is fed to all displays. Each display has it's=20
own CPU
and does not rely on a big box somewhere in the airplane, this makes
for some really simplified wiring. The three display modes are moving
map (Jepp data base), PFD (primary flight display) and engine data.
You can not split the screen but access to alternate pages is 1-2 key
strokes away. There is an alarm function that will flash a red border to
alert you of an out of bounds parameter, this function can also be used
to flash an external annunciator if desired. To sum up the usefulness of
the alarm, consider that you have a 1 or 2 screen system and are not
looking at the engine page on either - an engine problem will flash the
border on the current display, you can then goto the engine page or
goto the menu and look at an alarm listing.
  I have decided to use two Garmin GPS16 WAAS receivers, one is shared
between the two upper displays while #2 is devoted to the lower left=20
screen.
This gives me complete navigational redundancy. I can also select that=20=

either
the upper or lower left screen be ported to the auto pilot.

  For radios and transponder I am using the Microair equipment. It is=20
small
affordable is well regarded by the avionics shop's that I have spoke=20
to. I have
reluctantly decided to forego the installation of a NAV radio. Most of=20=

our flying
will be up and down the east coast, light IFR, and we have family all=20
along the
way. I will have to be mindful of not getting caught in the crap...

  Other than that I've installed a TruTrak 'Digitrak" A/P, Davtron=20
chronometer,
Flightcom 403 intercom and a CD player. The power panel is a one off of=20=

my
design. The instrument panel was hand molded, trimmed in grey vinyl and
varnished mahogany. The artwork is 10 mil thick Lexan overlay.

  There is a single Jeff Rose ignition installed on the IO360-C1C6, the=20=

4 jugs
have under 200hrs since Lycoming factory new - the rest of the engine=20
is in
excellent shape and has been professionally maintained. I've installed=20=

the new
stainless forward exhaust, all new engine sensors, etc... While at it,=20=

I painted
everything that I didn't have powder coated. There is a blower for=20
fresh air -
gets hot here... and I added a secondary power system for EFIS backup.

  When I bought this airplane, Duane Swing included all new landing =
gear,
wheels, brakes, tires, interior and replacement of any other major=20
defectives.
We found 2 required AD's, oil pump and wrist pins. I 'started' this=20
project by
gutting the airframe to the 'glass and going anew from there - a lot of=20=

work!
But I'd like to thank Duane & Scott for their support and a great deal=20=

on 81VA.
If you get by the factory, stop by the builder's center and say hello.

Best Regards,
Wayne Lanza
Composite Design, Inc.

For more information on the Digifly please visit our web page at-
http://www.CompositeDesignInc.com
______________________________________________________________

On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 08:34 PM, Al Gietzen wrote:

> ... Needless to say I built a new panel
> for my new toy and included the Fms systems in the effort. Find=20
> attached a
> small JPEG of my panel, if you would like more detail - just let me=20
> know.
>
> =A0Cheers,
> Wayne
>
> Oh; I see =96 just a couple a little changesJ.
> Yeah; maybe you could list out the major items.
>
> Al

--Apple-Mail-30-175764523
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/enriched;
	charset=WINDOWS-1252

Happy New Year to ALL!!!


 Al Gietzen asks about the component / configuration details regarding

my instrument panel, so here goes...


 I decided to use the Digifly fms100 EFIS systems along with the fms-AT

(AHRS) and fms-ENG (engine data module). This combination affords

me a fairly complete instrument compliment with some redundancy and

a great deal of flexibility. The fms100 display has three primary
display

modes which can be selected on any screen at any time. This is possible

because the engine and flight data come from their respective modules

via a serial link that is fed to all displays. Each display has it's
own CPU

and does not rely on a big box somewhere in the airplane, this makes

for some really simplified wiring. The three display modes are moving

map (Jepp data base), PFD (primary flight display) and engine data.

You can not split the screen but access to alternate pages is 1-2 key=20

strokes away. There is an alarm function that will flash a red border
to

alert you of an out of bounds parameter, this function can also be used

to flash an external annunciator if desired. To sum up the usefulness
of

the alarm, consider that you have a 1 or 2 screen system and are not=20

looking at the engine page on either - an engine problem will flash the

border on the current display, you can then goto the engine page or=20

goto the menu and look at an alarm listing.

 I have decided to use two Garmin GPS16 WAAS receivers, one is shared

between the two upper displays while #2 is devoted to the lower left
screen.

This gives me complete navigational redundancy. I can also select that
either

the upper or lower left screen be ported to the auto pilot.


 For radios and transponder I am using the Microair equipment. It is
small

affordable is well regarded by the avionics shop's that I have spoke
to. I have

reluctantly decided to forego the installation of a NAV radio. Most of
our flying

will be up and down the east coast, light IFR, and we have family all
along the

way. I will have to be mindful of not getting caught in the crap...


 Other than that I've installed a TruTrak 'Digitrak" A/P, Davtron
chronometer,

Flightcom 403 intercom and a CD player. The power panel is a one off
of my

design. The instrument panel was hand molded, trimmed in grey vinyl and

varnished mahogany. The artwork is 10 mil thick Lexan overlay.


 There is a single Jeff Rose ignition installed on the IO360-C1C6, the
4 jugs

have under 200hrs since Lycoming factory new - the rest of the engine
is in

excellent shape and has been professionally maintained. I've installed
the new

stainless forward exhaust, all new engine sensors, etc... While at it,
I painted

everything that I didn't have powder coated. There is a blower for
fresh air -=20

gets hot here... and I added a secondary power system for EFIS backup.=20=



 When I bought this airplane, Duane Swing included all new landing
gear,

wheels, brakes, tires, interior and replacement of any other major
defectives.

We found 2 required AD's, oil pump and wrist pins. I 'started' this
project by

gutting the airframe to the 'glass and going anew from there - a lot
of work!

But I'd like to thank Duane & Scott for their support and a great deal
on 81VA.

If you get by the factory, stop by the builder's center and say hello.


Best Regards,

Wayne Lanza

Composite Design, Inc.


For more information on the Digifly please visit our web page at-

http://www.CompositeDesignInc.com

______________________________________________________________


On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 08:34 PM, Al Gietzen wrote:


<excerpt><smaller>... Needless to say I built a new</smaller>
<smaller>panel</smaller>

<smaller>for my new toy and included the Fms systems in the effort.
Find</smaller> <smaller>attached a</smaller>

<smaller>small JPEG of my panel, if you would like more detail - just
let me</smaller> <smaller>know.</smaller>


<smaller>=A0Cheers,</smaller>

<smaller>Wayne</smaller>


=
<fontfamily><param>Verdana</param><color><param>0000,0000,0000</param><sma=
ller>Oh;
I see =96 just a couple a little
=
changes</smaller></color></fontfamily><color><param>0000,0000,0000</param>=
J<fontfamily><param>Verdana</param>.</fontfamily></color>

=
<fontfamily><param>Verdana</param><color><param>0000,0000,0000</param><sma=
ller>Yeah;
maybe you could list out the major items.</smaller></color></fontfamily>


=
<fontfamily><param>Verdana</param><color><param>0000,0000,0000</param><sma=
ller>Al</smaller></color></fontfamily>

</excerpt>=

--Apple-Mail-30-175764523--