REFLECTOR:Lycoming IO-540 - very low oil pressure after flight.

Chris Martin reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:23:17 -0800


John,

Check the Lycoming web site for information. I recall that there is an
issue similar to yours that is the result of measuring the oil pressure
from the wrong location on the oil gallery. The link below is for the
trouble shooting section.

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main.jsp?bodyPage=support/troubleshootingGui
de/troubleshootingIndex.html


Christopher Martin
christophercmartin@earthlink.net
Why Wait?  Move to EarthLink.


> [Original Message]
> From: John Cervini <john@johnsonlane.com>
> To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Date: 2/19/2004 9:08:13 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Lycoming IO-540  - very  low oil pressure after flight.
>
> I have a 1000 hr TT IO-540, the top end has been rebuilt to 0 hrs by a
> reputable company in Florida (my location).
> I have about 18 running hrs on it so far.
>
> It starts fine and really gets my XL-RG off the ground nicely - plenty of
> power.  I registered the aircraft in November and I have had 8 flights in
> phase 1.
> CHT max is around 365 on climb to a few thousand feet.  Upon startup the
oil
> pressure is around 95 psi then quicky starts to drop to normal range when
> the engine gets to operating temp.  It's around 50-60 psi by the time I am
> taxiing.  However, when I land, with the throttle at minimum position, the
> oil pressure drops to a low value, so low that the Micro Vision indicator
> goes into alarm (below 18-20 psi).  By design the oil pressure display
goes
> blank to indicate a low pressure warning - which is not a nice thing to
see.
>
> I imagine the engine as being a metal balloon filled with pressurized oil
> (while running).  For the pressure to drop, basically there should be a
> leak.  Since I don't see any oil squirting out of any holes in the engine
I
> don't know what to look at first.  (very simple analogy on my part)
>
> Any ideas.
>
>
> john cervini
> N444GX
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html