REFLECTOR:Fuel filters
Ronnie Brown
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:34:08 -0500
Mike,
I agree. My 6" long Airflow Performance filter at $125 was definitely over
kill. If you clean your tanks before closing them up and then keep the caps
on during the rest of the construction, there is no reason to have much
trash for the filter to catch. I think I have found about 5 small slivers
of stuff in 120 hours in my filter. This is not to say that you don't need a
filter, just that you don't need anything fancy - just sturdy. A metal can
(instead of plastic) paper filter should be fine. However, the Airflow
Performance folks wouldn't warranty their fuel boost pump without their
filter in front of it.
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "mike deeter" <iguanamagic@yahoo.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Fuel filters
| Gilles:
|
| I went to my local performance auto folks and bought a
| "System One" in-line filter. It's aluminum, 6" long
| by 1.5" diameter and has 37 degree #6 flared fittings
| at both ends. But....it's expensive ($50??)! I knew
| it's size was overkill as I found out at my annual
| (whistle clean) but at least I put fears of a clogged
| fuel line out of my mind. If I had to do it over
| again I'd try for my unit's little brother because at
| 6" long the darned thing takes up alot of room back
| there around the sump, shutoff valve, boost pump and
| moveable retract parts.
|
| Mike
|
|
| --- John Dibble <aminetech@bluefrog.com> wrote:
| > I have a cheap in-line filter and also worry about
| > fuel restriction. I
| > checked it after 10 hours and it seemed to flow as
| > well as a new
| > filter. So I feel comfortable it will last 100
| > hours anyway. I guess
| > the one good thing about fuel restriction is that it
| > should happen at
| > the beginning of the takeoff roll where there is
| > room to abort. Do they
| > make filters that allow the flow to bypass if the
| > filter becomes
| > plugged? Or a separate "pressure relief" valve that
| > can be installed in
| > parallel with the filter?
| >
| > John
| >
| > Gilles Gratton wrote:
| >
| > > Is anyone out there using the K & N Billet
| > Aluminum Fuel filter? If
| > > so, do you recommend it? I plan to use it on my
| > Franklin engine to
| > > replace that small miniature glass filter which I
| > have been using so
| > > far , successfully but with constant fear and
| > apprehension that it
| > > will restrict fuel flow and starve my engine in a
| > moment of high fuel
| > > demand.
| > > Gilles Gratton
| >
| >
|
|
| =====
| *******************************************
| Mike Deeter
| N2011 Test Pilot
| iguanamagic@yahoo.com
| http://iguanamagic.siegesmund.org
| *******************************************
|
| __________________________________
| Do you Yahoo!?
| Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online.
| http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
| _______________________________________________
| To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
|
| Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
| user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html