REFLECTOR:Fuel filters

Brian Michalk reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:15:52 -0600


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C3F53F.057F9D20
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I'm sure something like that exists, but would you want unfiltered fuel
plugging up your system?
There are commercial filters that have a sensor that tells you when the
filter is plugged, but you could roll one yourself by putting a pressure
sensor on each side of the filter.  As the filter becomes clogged, the
pressure across the filter increases, showing up as a delta voltage on your
sensors.

I've gone perhaps a little overboard instrumenting my airplane ... I do
instrumentation for a living.  I've got sensors at each fuel pump output ...
I'll draw a picture.  It's easier.


EFP-->PS1-->CV-->FILT
                     \
                      TEE-->PS3-->flow1-->FPR-->flow2-->PS4-->engine
                     /
MFP-->PS2-->CV-->FILT

EFP-electric driven fuel pump
MFP-mechanical driven fuel pump
PS1-pressure from electric fuel pump
PS2-pressure from mechanical fuel pump
FILT-fuel filters
CV-check valve
PS3-pressure at input of fuel pressure regulator
flow1-total fuel flow from pumps
FPR-fuel pressure regulator, dumps excess back to sump
flow2-fuel flow going to engine
PS4-fuel pressure at engine injectors

So a delta pressure between PS1:PS3 and PS2:PS3 will indicate a blocked fuel
filter.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of John Dibble
  Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 9:58 AM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Fuel filters


  I have a cheap in-line filter and also worry about fuel restriction.  I
checked it after 10 hours and it seemed to flow as well as a new filter.  So
I feel comfortable it will last 100 hours anyway.  I guess the one good
thing about fuel restriction is that it should happen at the beginning of
the takeoff roll where there is room to abort.  Do they make filters that
allow the flow to bypass if the filter becomes plugged?  Or a separate
"pressure relief" valve that can be installed in parallel with the filter?

  John

  Gilles Gratton wrote:

    Is anyone out there using the K & N Billet Aluminum Fuel filter? If so,
do you recommend it?  I plan to use it on my Franklin engine to replace that
small miniature glass filter which I have been using so far , successfully
but with constant fear and apprehension that it will restrict fuel flow and
starve my engine in a moment of high fuel demand.
    Gilles Gratton

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C3F53F.057F9D20
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DISO-8859-1 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DFixedsys size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D440115815-17022004>I'm=20
sure something like that exists, but would you want unfiltered fuel =
plugging up=20
your system?</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DFixedsys size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>There are commercial filters that have a =
sensor that=20
tells you when the filter is plugged, but you could roll one yourself by =
putting=20
a pressure sensor on each side of the filter.&nbsp; As the filter =
becomes=20
clogged, the pressure across the filter increases, showing up as a delta =
voltage=20
on your sensors.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DFixedsys size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>I've gone perhaps a little overboard =
instrumenting my=20
airplane ... I do instrumentation for a living.&nbsp; I've got sensors =
at each=20
fuel pump output ... I'll draw a picture.&nbsp; It's =
easier.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DFixedsys size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>EFP--&gt;PS1--&gt;CV--&gt;FILT</SPAN></FONT></=
STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DFixedsys size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
\</SPAN></FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DFixedsys size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;=20
TEE--&gt;PS3--&gt;flow1--&gt;FPR--&gt;flow2--&gt;PS4--&gt;engine</SPAN></=
FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DFixedsys size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
/</SPAN></FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT=20
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG>MFP--&gt;PS<SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>2</SPAN>--&gt;CV<SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>--&gt;FILT</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT=
></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004></SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</D=
IV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>EFP-electric driven fuel=20
pump</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>MFP-mechanical driven fuel=20
pump</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>PS1-pressure from electric fuel=20
pump</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>PS2-pressure from mechanical fuel=20
pump</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>FILT-fuel=20
filters</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>CV-check=20
valve</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>PS3-pressure at input of fuel pressure=20
regulator</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>flow1-total fuel flow from=20
pumps</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>FPR-fuel pressure regulator, dumps excess =
back to=20
sump</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>flow2-fuel flow going to=20
engine</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>PS4-fuel pressure at engine=20
injectors</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004></SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</D=
IV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT =
face=3DFixedsys><STRONG><SPAN=20
class=3D440115815-17022004>So a delta pressure between PS1:PS3 and =
PS2:PS3 will=20
indicate a blocked fuel =
filter.</SPAN></STRONG></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: =
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
  <DIV align=3Dleft class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>John=20
  Dibble<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, February 17, 2004 9:58 =
AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Fuel=20
  filters<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>I have a cheap in-line filter and also =
worry about=20
  fuel restriction.&nbsp; I checked it after 10 hours and it seemed to =
flow as=20
  well as a new filter.&nbsp; So I feel comfortable it will last 100 =
hours=20
  anyway.&nbsp; I guess the one good thing about fuel restriction is =
that it=20
  should happen at the beginning of the takeoff roll where there is room =
to=20
  abort.&nbsp; Do they make filters that allow the flow to bypass if the =
filter=20
  becomes plugged?&nbsp; Or a separate "pressure relief" valve that can =
be=20
  installed in parallel with the filter?<BR><BR>John<BR><BR>Gilles =
Gratton=20
  wrote:<BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3D"midDAEDKOMCBHINGJEIJCOJIEHGCJAA.gratton@magma.ca"=20
  type=3D"cite">
    <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D810285815-15022004>Is =
anyone out=20
    there using the K &amp; N Billet Aluminum Fuel filter? If so, do you =

    recommend it?&nbsp; I plan to use it on my Franklin engine to =
replace that=20
    small miniature glass filter which I have been using so far , =
successfully=20
    but with constant fear and apprehension that it will restrict fuel =
flow and=20
    starve my engine in a moment of high fuel demand. =
</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D810285815-15022004>Gilles=20
    Gratton</SPAN></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C3F53F.057F9D20--