REFLECTOR:aileron tape

velocityxlfg reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:27:10 -0600


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C3F213.8E5F8170
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Sounds like a good Idea. I put it in my tips folder.
Keep them coming.

Ron
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Chuck Jensen=20
  To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'=20
  Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 7:39 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:aileron tape


  I tried a couple different methods then settled on duct tape.  I chose =
the white duct tape (Home Depot/Lowes) and prepared it by cutting off a =
strip that was 2" longer than the aileron.  I laid the duct tape strip =
on its back, adhesive side up, then used common scotch tape to run a =
ribbon of scotch tape along the edge of the duct tape; adhesive against =
adhesive.   You then have duct tape with 1/2 of the adhesive covered by =
a non-stick surface.  Apply to the underside gap starting 1" beyond the =
end of the aileron.  The adhesive edge will nicely cover your aileron =
hinge screws while the portion of the tape that extends back onto the =
aileron is the non-stick scotch taped edge.  Hint: the prepared tape can =
be rolled back onto the duct tape role to carry to the airport, =
otherwise, everything wants to stick to everything.

  This tape system is rated for 268.5 mph.  After 4 months, it's still =
flexible and shows no sign of needing replacement.  Only two surprises, =
1) how much speed gain there was (5-7kts) and 2) how "hard" it seemed to =
make the aileron.  Unlike others that talk about the gap seal enhancing =
aileron effectiveness, particularly at approach speeds, I found the =
opposite.  Aileron control was still available but it took a much firmer =
effort to move the aileron and I didn't think they "bit" as effectively. =
 I don't know what to attribute it too.   Nonetheless, the speed gain =
benefit outweighs the perceived aileron shortcoming by a mile (well, =
actually about 8 miles..per hour).  Others have obviously experienced =
different results.

  Chuck

  [Chuck Jensen] =20
  Airmech  wrote....
    What tape have you guys found works best to seal the aileron gaps?  =
bg
------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C3F213.8E5F8170
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Sounds like a good Idea. I put it in my tips=20
folder.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Keep them coming.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Ron</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcjensen@dts9000.com =
href=3D"mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck=20
  Jensen</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, February 13, 2004 =
7:39=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:aileron =
tape</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D671031913-13022004><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I =
tried a couple=20
  different methods then settled on duct tape.&nbsp; I chose the white =
duct tape=20
  (Home Depot/Lowes) and prepared it by cutting off a strip that was 2" =
longer=20
  than the aileron.&nbsp; I laid the duct tape&nbsp;strip on its back, =
adhesive=20
  side up,&nbsp;then used common scotch tape to run a ribbon of scotch =
tape=20
  along the edge of the duct tape; adhesive against =
adhesive.&nbsp;&nbsp; You=20
  then have&nbsp;duct tape with 1/2 of the adhesive covered by a =
non-stick=20
  surface.&nbsp; Apply to the underside gap starting 1" beyond the end =
of the=20
  aileron.&nbsp; The adhesive edge will nicely cover your aileron hinge =
screws=20
  while the portion of the tape that extends back onto the aileron is =
the=20
  non-stick scotch taped edge.&nbsp; Hint: the prepared tape can be =
rolled back=20
  onto the duct tape role to carry to the airport, otherwise, everything =
wants=20
  to stick to everything.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D671031913-13022004><FONT face=3DArial=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D671031913-13022004><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This =
tape system=20
  is rated for 268.5 mph.&nbsp; After 4 months, it's still flexible and =
shows no=20
  sign of needing replacement.&nbsp; Only two surprises, 1) how much =
speed gain=20
  there was (5-7kts) and 2) how "hard" it seemed to make the =
aileron.&nbsp;=20
  Unlike others that talk about the gap seal enhancing aileron =
effectiveness,=20
  particularly at approach speeds, I found the opposite.&nbsp; Aileron =
control=20
  was still available but it took a much firmer effort to move the =
aileron and I=20
  didn't think they "bit" as effectively.&nbsp; I don't know what to =
attribute=20
  it too.&nbsp;&nbsp; Nonetheless, the speed gain benefit&nbsp;outweighs =
the=20
  perceived aileron shortcoming by a mile (well, actually about 8 =
miles..per=20
  hour).&nbsp; Others have obviously experienced different=20
  results.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D671031913-13022004><FONT face=3DArial=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D671031913-13022004><FONT face=3DArial=20
  size=3D2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D671031913-13022004></SPAN><FONT =
face=3DTahoma><BR><SPAN=20
  class=3D671031913-13022004><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>[Chuck=20
  Jensen]&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN><BR><FONT size=3D2>Airmech<FONT=20
  face=3DArial><SPAN class=3D671031913-13022004>&nbsp;&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN =

  class=3D671031913-13022004>wrote....</SPAN></FONT></FONT></DIV></FONT>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What tape have you guys found works =
best to=20
    seal the aileron gaps?&nbsp;=20
bg</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C3F213.8E5F8170--