REFLECTOR:Fling with out a net.

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:20:56 -0500


This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EF41.D77F70B0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"

Ron,
 
Congrats on the perserverance on just about getting there for the build
process.  Regarding insurance, I never deal in facts, just opinions, but
I'll share those based on observations and personal bias.
 
1.    Irrespective of insurance issues, go to the factory or get hold of one
of the Velo qualified CFIs for 10-12 hours minimum of dual time before you
fly.
2.    Don't even think about test flying it yourself.  Get somebody with
experience who can devote his attention to the plane and it's systems, not
trying to figure out how to fly it.  Time and again, we read NTSB reports
that says "low time pilot/builder was on his initial flight."
3.    I suspect you can buy "not in flight" insurance irrespective of your
hours
4.    Unlike cars, I don't think there is as much emphasis on
previous/continuous coverage.  Aviation insurance companies like to see lots
of hours, lots of ratings and no claims.  And, after they cover you, they
still don't want to see claims!
5.    Often the insurance company requirements are guidelines as much as
anything.  Since there is no shortcut to the 500 hour requirement, there is
a quick and simple way to build credibility; an IFR rating.  As you
negotiate with the insurance company, or at least its agent, It may be
helpful to cite, not only that you have your IFR ticket, but that you did
your dual in the Velo.  From personal experience,  the IFR training is good
stuff.  You can be assured you, and the Velo, given its speed, power and
sophistication, will benefit from a higher quality pilotage.  It may require
more precise and accurate flying than putzing around in a 172, but the
rewards are equally greater.
 
Be able to show a couple hundred hours, check out by the factory, a shiny
new IFR ticket and they may at least talk to you.
 
Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
velocityxlfg
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 1:39 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR:Fling with out a net.


Being a builder without  a lot of fight time and the insurance companies
frowning
on low time pilots. I am sort of stuck with a question. When I am done
building my
 bird and need to build time before the insurance company will look at me.
Do they care if you have been 
fling without insurance on your bird or not. If it is like car insurance,
when you drive with out insurance ,
then try to get insurance you get  a much higher rate if they will even
insure you . Any one know if this is the same for airplanes?
 
I was thinking of building my flight time in my velocity will fling in
sparsely populated areas till 
I could qualify for the insurance.
 
Any thoughts on this?
 
P.S. Pam just did call to let me know there is another underwriter in the 
market now. Minimum of 500 hr total time required. Good news I guess
 
Ron
 
 
 


------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EF41.D77F70B0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">


<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Ron,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Congrats on the perserverance on just about getting there for the build 
process.&nbsp; Regarding insurance, I never deal in facts, just opinions, but 
I'll share those based on observations and personal bias.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Irrespective of insurance issues, go to the factory 
or get hold of one of the Velo qualified CFIs for 10-12 hours&nbsp;minimum of 
dual time before you fly.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Don't even think about test flying it 
yourself.&nbsp; Get somebody with experience who can devote his attention to the 
plane and it's systems,&nbsp;not trying to figure out how to fly it.&nbsp; Time 
and again, we read&nbsp;NTSB reports that&nbsp;says "low time pilot/builder was 
on his initial flight."</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>3.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I suspect you can buy "not in flight" insurance 
irrespective of your hours</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>4.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Unlike cars, I don't think there is as much emphasis 
on previous/continuous coverage.&nbsp; Aviation insurance companies like to see 
lots of hours, lots of ratings and no claims.&nbsp; And, after they cover you, 
they still don't want to see claims!</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>5.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Often the insurance company requirements are 
guidelines as much as anything.&nbsp; Since there is no shortcut to the&nbsp;500 
hour requirement, there is a quick and simple way to build credibility; an IFR 
rating.&nbsp; As you negotiate with the insurance company, or at least its 
agent, It may be helpful to cite, not only that you have your IFR ticket, but 
that you did your dual in the Velo.&nbsp; From&nbsp;personal experience,&nbsp; 
the IFR training is good stuff.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can be assured you, and the Velo, 
given its speed, power and sophistication, will benefit from a higher quality 
pilotage. &nbsp;It may&nbsp;require more precise and accurate flying than 
putzing around in a 172, but the rewards are equally 
greater.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Be 
able to show a couple hundred hours, check out by the factory, a shiny new IFR 
ticket and they may at least talk to you.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=406555418-09022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma 
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org 
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of 
  </B>velocityxlfg<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, February 09, 2004 1:39 
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Fling with 
  out a net.<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Being a builder without&nbsp; a lot of fight time 
  </FONT><FONT face=Arial>and the insurance companies frowning</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>on low time pilots. I am sort of stuck with a question. 
  When I am done building my</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>&nbsp;bird and need to build time before the insurance 
  company </FONT><FONT face=Arial>will look at me. Do they care if you have been 
  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>fling without insurance on your bird or not. If it is 
  like car insurance, when you drive with out insurance ,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>then try to get insurance you get&nbsp; </FONT><FONT 
  face=Arial>a much higher rate if they will even insure you .&nbsp;Any one know 
  if this is the </FONT><FONT face=Arial>same for airplanes?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>I was thinking of building my flight time in my velocity 
  will fling in sparsely populated areas till </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>I could qualify for the insurance.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Any thoughts on this?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>P.S. Pam just did call to let me know there is another 
  underwriter in the </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>market now. Minimum of 500 hr&nbsp;total 
  time&nbsp;required. Good news I guess</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Ron</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EF41.D77F70B0--