REFLECTOR:Aluminum instrument panel finish
KeithHallsten
reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:02:24 -0800
Richard,
It sounds like a work of art!
I wouldn't recommend a polished finish on something that's likely to get
touched a lot. Aluminum is soft enough that you will get scratches,
fingerprints, etc. that will really stand out.
Years ago I worked as an engineer for a fabrication shop that made custom
structures that included aluminum handrailings. I recall from that
experience that not all alloys were suitable for anodizing. For example,
alloy 6063-T6 anodized much better than alloy 6061-T6. I don't know
anything about the anodizing characteristics of 2024-T3, so you would have
to consult with an andodizer about your options for that.
There are some type of powder coatings that would have outstanding
durability, but you might have limited options for color and gloss level.
As I recall, nylon powder coats have great abrasion resistence, but
polyester powder coats are more commonly available in more colors.
Mostly this is an esthetic decision - what "look" turns your crank? Go for
it!
Keith
----- Original Message -----
From: <richard@riley.net>
To: <canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com>; <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 9:54 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR:Aluminum instrument panel finish
> I've just finished machining my instrument panel. It is (I say with no
> small pride) nice. Milled out of 2024T3 3" thick, reduced to .120 with
> .120 webs between each instrument and around the perimeter.
>
> Now the question is: how should it be finished? Polished? Engine turned?
> Anodized? Clear powder coat? Price is not an issue, it will be a tiny
> fraction of what the radios are costing anyway.
>
> Any suggestions or reasoning gratefully accepted.
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>