REFLECTOR: Cowling Camlocs?
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Dec 30 10:19:50 CST 2004
Brian,
The antenna for my Garmin 300 looks like a hocky puck. I'm using standard
rg58? I think... Antenna is mounted under the nose access door. Distance
is so short to the stack I think you could use TV cable. I always get a
huge amount of Sat's. Never had a RAIM alert on an approach in 2 years.
It says don't paint because some paints have metallic stuff in them and
that will degrade the signal. If you don't have metallic stuff in your
planes paint, no problemo.
Scott
At 09:01 AM 12/30/2004, you wrote:
>That's me.
>
>I don't recall posting any pictures on my install. I should be able to
>get some this weekend. First time since December 1 that I've been able to
>work on the plane.
>
>Lot's of toys have come in. The GX60 is here, the prop is here. Need to
>mount remote magnetic indicator, electronic gyro, GPS antenna etc.
>
>Speaking of GPS antennas. The GX60 gomes with this big patch antenna, and
>the manual talks a great deal about signal loss. However, this is an
>amplified antenna, meaning there is a 5volt bias that powers the amplifier
>inside the antenna. They want me to use this big thick low loss
>cable. We've been using similar amplified antennas here in the office for
>years. Nice, small. about 4cm x 4cm. Nice small 20 foot cable with
>excellent results. Takes 5volt bias, just like the Garmin antenna. Why
>shouldn't I use one of my antennas instead?
>
>Why does the Garmin antenna say "do not paint"? I want to install it way
>forward in the nose where the fiberglass is only one layer thick.
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
>Behalf Of Craig and/or Denise Woolston
>Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 9:28 AM
>To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>Subject: REFLECTOR: Cowling Camlocs?
>
>Who's using Camloc's or Skyloc's on the cowling? And if so, what spacing
>did you use? They (Skybolt) suggest 3-4 inches but I already drilled the
>Velocity suggested pattern. I reason that our cowls are not nearly as
>pressured as a normal tractor plane so the ~6 inch spacing is
>sufficient. Any thoughts?
>
>
>
>Craig
>
>XLFG-Palmdale
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin
More information about the Reflector
mailing list