REFLECTOR: Hydraulic Pump Leak..fluid levels

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Dec 14 10:29:08 CST 2004


The silicone was applied to the inside and outside.  It was all over the 
"O" ring.  The "O" ring was basically embedded in silicone.

Once I cleaned it all off the fit was much looser.

Parker rates this pump down to 20F, maybe that's the problem.  It was -15F 
on my last flight and it bled all over the bottom of the plane.

Scott


At 08:47 AM 12/14/2004, you wrote:
>Yep, that is where mine was leaking.....sounds like someone may have just 
>added silicone sealant from the OUTSIDE to try to prevent the leak rahter 
>than disassembling the pump/reservoir and applying to the mating 
>surfaces......I d o not know the best material to use , but silicone 
>rubber seems to be pretty inert...anyone else?   Jeff C
>
>Scott Derrick wrote:
>
>>Jeff,
>>
>>Your completely right.  The change in fluid level is negligible between 
>>up and down.  I tested that before I ever flew the plane.
>>
>>My fluid level is at about 2/3 's and in moderate turbulence it leaks 
>>like a sieve.  Its leaking from the reservoir to pump seal, not the cap.
>>
>>Or it was leaking,  I'm going to replace the sillycone that somebody 
>>added(I've been told by three people this is the fix) to stop the leak.
>>
>>My question is,  is there a "best" sealer for hydraulic systems?  RTV, 
>>the black sticky stuff?
>>
>>Scott
>>
>>At 06:19 PM 12/13/2004, you wrote:
>>
>>>Does the hydraulic fluid level change THAT much between 'up' and 'down' 
>>>cycles?  I would think that the amount of driving (extending) fluid 
>>>would nearly equal the fluid driven out of the cyclinders and returned 
>>>back to the reservoir and same for the retraction cycle(once all the air 
>>>bubbles are out of the system and it is in 'steady state') .. JEFF C.
>>>
>>>johnward wrote:
>>>
>>>>Also shouldn't the fluid level be determined during the drop check when the
>>>>gear is retracted?  I believe the reservoir might be overfilled when the
>>>>hydraulic piston is retracted in the cylinder if it's filled on the extend
>>>>cycle.
>>>>
>>>>John Ward
>>>>----- Original Message ----- From: "Pat Shea" <xl340hp at yahoo.com>
>>>>To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>>Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 5:42 PM
>>>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Hydraulic Pump Leak
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Okay, I obviously should have thought that thru before
>>>>>posting...
>>>>>
>>>>>I recall someone dealing with leaking cap in the past
>>>>>& was curious how they dealt with it since mine is
>>>>>leaking some from just ground ops. Agreed, if the cap
>>>>>is the only vent source, you're gonna need it! One
>>>>>thought was to raise the vent opening further from the
>>>>>fluid level (i.e. seal the cap slots and use a vent
>>>>>tube stemming from the cap). Ronnie, since you're
>>>>>flying and don't seem to have any problems, maybe
>>>>>running with the reservoir only 1/2 full is the
>>>>>ticket! I'll try that first...
>>>>>
>>>>>Thanks, Pat
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>The vents really need to be left open.  You can see
>>>>>>the fluid go up and down in the reservoir as the gear
>>>>>>is retracted and extended.  The difference is the
>>>>>>piston rods that displace fluid as they go into the
>>>>>>cylinders. I agree, seal the vents and you could have
>>>>>>a real mess!
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>__________________________________
>>>>>Do you Yahoo!?
>>>>>Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today!
>>>>>http://my.yahoo.com
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>_______________________________________________
>>>>>To change your email address, visit
>>>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>_______________________________________________
>>>>To change your email address, visit 
>>>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>
>>>>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>To change your email address, visit 
>>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
>>- Benjamin Franklin
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>


"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin



More information about the Reflector mailing list