REFLECTOR: N numbers

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Tue Dec 14 10:08:22 CST 2004


At 11:37 AM 12/13/04, you wrote:
>I was looking at reserving an "N" number.
>When I look up the one I was wanting it said...
>" Deregistered "  since 2002.
>Does that mean that it's available?
>It still has aircraft data attached to it.
>Is it considered bad luck, to resuse a number?
>Is it poor etiquette / bad manners to use someone else's
>number?

I've used numbers like that several times.
I currently have N2903 reserved - my daughter was born November 29, 
2003.  When I tried to get it I found it was a "Manufacturer (Temp)" number 
belonging to "AERO COMM ALBANY" and reserved in 1971.  They hadn't been in 
business for at least 10 years.  I called the nice people at FAA, explained 
the situation, and magically it was mine.

Another one was N600SE.  When our test pilot Rick "Goose" Fessenden was 
killed I wanted Goose for out next airplane.  I was on a C-46 (Curtiss 
Commando) that last saw a registration change in the '60's,  I belonged to 
a corporation in Minnesota - but had been gone so long that the state had 
no record of them.  Again, FAA gave it to me.

For my Long EZ I wanted N1701X - I had a Star Trek thing going with 
it.  1701X was on a hot air blimp that had long ago been destroyed.  I 
tracked down the last owner (actually several "Last Owners" - FAA had it 
listed as sale pending) and got letters from each one giving me the number.

If you want it, use it. 



More information about the Reflector mailing list