REFLECTOR: Gross Weight Increase

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Dec 10 17:06:04 CST 2004


>4.    Set your Gross Weight higher than what you really expect.  The 
>Velocity manual is a _recommendation_.  You are the manufacturer.  You set 
>the operating limitations.  Even if you never plan on flying at ...say 
>2600-pounds, consider adopting this as your official GW ... I say this 
>because ... if you elect to use the 2400-pounds (I can't remember what the 
>recommend GW for the 173 is at this moment) ... some day, God forbid, you 
>are flying 5-pounds over gross and have an accident, the insurance company 
>- sure as shootin - is going to try to find some way to deny you your claim.

Scott,

This brings up a point of interest for me..   I plan on raising the gross 
weight of my airplane when I upgrade the engine.   Beefier brakes and main 
legs and the new nose gear fork/strut/pivots to support the additional weight.

Do I need to do anything but log this increase along with the engine 
install?  Possibly a note in the logs that it was tested to the new gross 
weight?

Scott


"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin



More information about the Reflector mailing list