REFLECTOR: Fwd: My Velocity setup

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Dec 3 10:54:11 CST 2004


My idea behind this is to scavange some of the flow that comes through the
bottom radiator, across the bottom of the pan, and out the "suction slot".
at about 18" from the center of prop rotation, it should also add to the
suction the prop places on the cowl opennings. Well.. at least that is my
idea, we'll see if it works out. I am hoping that I can get away without an
oil cooler with that setup. No worries though, I have a backup to put an
inline cooler on the #2 NACA scoop if I need it. 

 

Keep in mind that the reduced pressure ("suction") generated by the prop
dissipates rapidly (exponentially) as you move away from the prop, so even a
foot is a long way - and at cruise it is almost non-existent; you have to
rely on dynamic pressure and whatever gradients are produced by the flow.
Remember, the air is standing still, the airplane is moving.  Some air is
getting pushed/pulled downward by the airfoils, some is being pushed back by
the prop, the rest is getting out of the way as best it can.

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20041203/58e0002a/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list