REFLECTOR: Scoops

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 2 14:13:37 CST 2004


Al,  
 
Yes, I know that looks and performance are not connected, however, if I can  
get both I shall. 
 
The total inlet area into the cowl through NACA scoops is 80.5  sq/"   
 
I have not modified the outlet area of the cowl, but the stock outlet is  
approximately 147 sq/". By the way, I plan on using your method for finishing  
off the aft cowl once I get there. I have a few more details to figure out  
before I finish off the aft cowl openning(s). 
 
I plan on having the "suction slot" just aft of the oil pan calculated into  
the area. 
 
I have seen a couple different methods for calculating the ratio of exit to  
inlet. What I have not seen is a method specifically for NACA inlets. Too much 
 pressure, and the air will just flow by them.  Too little (probably rare)  
and the pressure recovery efficiency will decline or not work at all.  Any  
input on that?  Then one must add in the expansion from heat transfer as  well as 
exhaust expansion.  Interesting problems, but this stuff sure is  fun. 
 
Thanks for your continued input. 
 
Kurt Winker
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20041202/99e209b3/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list