REFLECTOR: Yoke vs. Stick
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Wed Dec 1 16:17:01 CST 2004
I don't think Randy meant to do away with the center stick, I think he meant
attaching servos to it so that some remote stick could be mounted anywhere.
I don't think this would be any more failure prone than say ... a trim
system.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Jim Sower
> Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 3:27 PM
> To: rwharton at buckeye-express.com; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
> list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Yoke vs. Stick
>
>
> Yep. Then I did about a ten-second cost-benefit and risk-benefit
> (uncountable failure modes ... with ?? consequences). Then I moved on
> to something useful and attainable.
> Like fixing my broken, poorly designed fuel system for a few bucks ...
> Jim S.
>
>
> Randy Wharton wrote:
>
> >Anyone ever given thought to using servos to drive the existing
> >control linkages? This "fly-by-wire" system could be joystick-driven
> >from anyplace you wanted to mount a joystick, and "all" you'd have to
> >do is run the wires. Granted the joystick controls would probably
> >cost you, but you could conveniently mount the joystick anywhere.
> >
> >Randy Wharton
> >N248RB XLRG
> >http://clik.to/velocity
> >
> >---- Original Message ----
> >From: CBarber at texasattorney.net
> >To: reflector at tvbf.org
> >Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Yoke vs. Stick
> >Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:39:52 -0600
> >
> >
> >
> >>My plane came with the yoke (the last SUV, I think, but I have added
> >>the
> >>second door, so now an SE). I have no real desire to switch from the
> >>yoke
> >>(even though I think a $1000.00 premium for what many do not consider
> >>an
> >>upgrade is hurting more than helping). I too like the idea of flying
> >>left
> >>and fiddling right. The loss of panel area is very secondary to me
> >>(even
> >>though with the yoke, the big Blue Mountain would probably not fit
> >>but that
> >>is ok since the Blue Mountain is not in my budget <g>)
> >>
> >>Now, that being said, I do like the idea of a left side stick like
> >>the
> >>Cirrus. I spoke with Brandon and he stated it was considered but due
> >>to the
> >>slope of the fuselage the left stick would require too many
> >>components and
> >>loose the simplicity advantage. I think he mentioned it could be
> >>done, but
> >>you would have to use u-joints etc which cause some slop in their
> >>test. WAY
> >>down the road and well after I start flying, I would give serious
> >>consideration to a modification to a left side stick. BTW, a while
> >>back
> >>someone posted pictures of a left side stick. It was only partially
> >>in the
> >>picture since the picture was of the panel. At the time others
> >>expressed
> >>interest in the left side stick and hoped more pix of it would be
> >>uploaded,
> >>but none ever were. FWIW.
> >>
> >>All the best,
> >>
> >>Chris
> >>
> >>Christopher Barber
> >>Attorney and Counselor at Law
> >>
> >>"Serving the needs of Senior Texans"
> >>
> >>Barber Law Firm
> >>11930 S Sam Houston Pkwy E
> >>Suite 103
> >>Houston, Texas 77089-4755
> >>281-464-LAWS (5297)
> >>
> >>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list